Classic Waldorf Salad – the most popular salad is so easy to make at home. Fresh lettuce, crisp apples, juicy grapes and crunchy walnuts and celery make this classic a favorite.
First served in Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1896, this salad is a classic. Originally made with lettuce, apples, celery and grapes mixed in a creamy mayo dressing. Walnuts were added later on and bring a nice nutty taste (especially if you toast them first) and crunchy texture. The combination of juicy grapes and sweet crunchy apples is perfect with celery and lettuce. This Waldorf Salad is a must-try and since it’s so easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. It’s delicious with grilled chicken, salmon or served as a sandwich salad with chopped chicken.
How to make a Waldorf Salad?
- Start by chopping lettuce, celery, and apples.
- Slice grapes in half.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl.
- Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
What is in Waldorf Salad?
- Romaine lettuce
Waldorf Salad Dressing
This Waldorf Salad is made with fresh vegetables, fruit and nuts, tossed in a creamy dressing made with mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. It’s a simple dressing and pairs well with all the textures in this salad.
Waldorf Salad variations:
- add chicken or ham to turn this salad into a healthy and light lunch in croissants, buns or wraps.
- use pears in place of apples
- use pecans in place of walnuts
- use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise
More Delicious Salad Recipes:
For more fresh salad recipes, feel free to browse our Salad Category.
The most popular salad is so easy to make at home. Fresh lettuce, crisp apples, juicy grapes and crunchy walnuts and celery make this classic a favorite.
- 2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 apples
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place lettuce in large salad bowl.
- Core and chop apples. Slice grapes in half.
- Add apples, celery and grapes to lettuce. Top with walnuts. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise with lemon juice. Add salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad. Toss to coat.
You can use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.