Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole – best ground beef casserole with wide egg noodles, tomato sauce and baked with cheese. This easy dinner is bound to be a family favorite!
This easy hamburger casserole is made with egg noodles and tomato sauce. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, especially since you can make it ahead of time. All you need is a few ingredients that most likely are already in your fridge and pantry.
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- ground beef
- olive oil
- green bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- crushed tomatoes
- whole kernel corn (can or frozen)
- wide egg noodles
- cheddar cheese
Step by step instructions
This casserole is very easy to make. Cook the noodles and make the meat sauce. Then assemble everything in a casserole dish and bake!
Step 1: Saute veggies and seasoning
Saute garlic, onion and pepper in olive oil. Add seasoning and saute for 1 minute. This activates dried herbs and creates a flavorful base for the dish.
Step 2: Cook beef and make sauce.
Add ground beef and cook until done. Add corn and crushed tomatoes and stir in. Bring everything to simmer.
Step 3: Assembly
Place noodles in a buttered dish, add meat sauce and stir in.
Step 4: Bake.
Top casserole with cheese and bake until bubbly.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
You can easily prepare the dish ahead of time. Cook the noodles and place in a casserole dish. Add meat sauce and stir everything together. Top with cheese and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days, until ready to bake.
You can use a 13″ x 9″ freezer-safe container, prepare the casserole and cool it completely. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- beef: for a meatless version, skip the beef and use 8 oz of mushrooms, sauteed along with garlic, onion and pepper. You can also use cooked lentils or crumbled tofu.
- noodles: use other bite-size noodles or even spaghetti to make this dish.
- sauce: make the casserole creamy by adding 1/2 cup of sour cream to the noodles and sauce.
More casserole recipes:
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Leftover Ham Casserole
- Perfect Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Dinner Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
This beef noodle casserole is the best ground beef casserole with wide egg noodles, tomato sauce and baked with cheese. This easy dinner is bound to be a family favorite!
- 10 oz wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef see note
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen or from a can
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Butter a 13" x 9" casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook noodles according to instructions on the packaging. Drain and place in casserole dish.
In a large skillet, heat up olive oil.
Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute for 3 minutes or until the onion is almost translucent.
Add Italian seasoning and oregano. Saute 1 minute, stirring often.
Add ground beef and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
Add corn and stir in. Add crushed tomatoes and stir in. Bring the mixture to simmer.
Pour the meat sauce over noodles and stir everything together. Add 1/2 cup of cheese and stir in.
Top with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- You can use frozen whole kernel corn (no need to thaw it) or canned (drained and rinsed).