This Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole is the best ground beef casserole with wide egg noodles, tomato sauce and cheese. This easy dinner is bound to be a family favorite!
Why You'll Love This Casserole
This easy hamburger casserole is made with egg noodles and tomato sauce. It's perfect for busy weeknights, especially since you can make it ahead of time. All you need is a few ingredients that most likely are already in your fridge and pantry.
It's ready in just a few steps. Cook the noodles and make the meat sauce. Then assemble everything in a casserole dish and bake! Great dinner idea for busy weeknights but also one you can make ahead of time.
If you ever wondered what you can make for a friend or neighbor that is unwell or just had a baby, this casserole is a great option! It's filling, hearty, and packed with flavor.
- ground beef
- olive oil
- green bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- crushed tomatoes
- whole kernel corn (can or frozen)
- wide egg noodles
- cheddar cheese
How to make beef noodle casserole?
- Saute garlic, onion and pepper in olive oil.
- Add seasoning and saute for 1 minute. This activates dried herbs and creates a flavorful base for the dish.
- Add ground beef and cook until done.
- Add corn and crushed tomatoes and stir in. Bring everything to simmer.
- Place noodles in a buttered dish, add meat sauce and stir in.
- Top casserole with cheese and bake until bubbly.
- beef: for a meatless version, skip the beef and use 8 oz of mushrooms, sauteed along with garlic, onion and pepper. You can also use cooked lentils or crumbled tofu.
- noodles: use other bite-size noodles or even spaghetti to make this dish.
- sauce: make the casserole creamy by adding ½ cup of sour cream to the noodles and sauce.
You can easily prepare the dish ahead of time. Cook the noodles and place in a casserole dish. Add meat sauce and stir everything together. Top with cheese and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days, until ready to bake.
You can use a 13" x 9" freezer-safe container, prepare the casserole and cool it completely. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More casserole recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole
- 10 oz wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef see note
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen or from a can
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter a 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cook noodles according to instructions on the packaging. Drain and place in casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute for 3 minutes or until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add Italian seasoning and oregano. Saute 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add corn and stir in. Add crushed tomatoes and stir in. Bring the mixture to simmer.
- Pour the meat sauce over noodles and stir everything together. Add ½ cup of cheese and stir in.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- You can use frozen whole kernel corn (no need to thaw it) or canned (drained and rinsed).