Beef Stroganoff – make this classic dish right in your kitchen with just a few ingredients and only 20 minutes from start to finish. Comfort food at it’s best!
Beef stroganoff is quite a special dish for us. It’s was my Hubby’s favorite thing to cook before we met and he is the one who taught me how to make it! It’s one of our favorite dishes and we always make it together. Over the years, we perfected it and learned a few tricks that help. We are about to show you how to make the best beef stroganoff right in your kitchen and in just 20 minutes!
Ingredients Needed (your shopping list):
- olive oil
- 1.5 lbs beef sirloin
- baby Bella mushrooms
- beef stock
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- all-purpose flour
- sour cream
- wide egg noodles
Season beef with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
Add beef to hot skillet and cook for 1 minute on both sides. Remove onto a plate.
To the same skillet, add onion slices, garlic and mushrooms. Stir and cook.
Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir in until there is no flour visible.
Drizzle in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until combined.
In the meantime, in a stockpot bring water to boil. Add salt and noodles. Cook until done. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
When the vegetable sauce is thick, add back cooked beef and stir in. Add sour cream and stir until combined and the sauce is creamy.
Serve sauce over noodles. Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
If you need to make it ahead of time, I suggest making the beef with sauce and store in a fridge. Cook the noodles just before serving. Noodles do not refrigerate well.
What cut of beef is best for this dish?
For this recipe, I used boneless beef sirloin and cut it into thin strips. You can also use beef tenderloin or beef rib eye.
What is stroganoff sauce made of?
The stroganoff sauce is made with meat juices, beef stock and sour cream. It should be creamy and flavorful.
- ground beef: use 1 lb of ground beef in place of sirloin
- gluten-free: use gluten-free noodles and use cornstarch instead of flour; make sure the Worcestershire sauce is gluten-free
- slow cooker: cook browned meat in the slow cooker on HIGH for 4 hours, then add sour cream and noodles.
How to lighten up this dish?
To make this dish even lighter, use cornstarch in place of flour (use only 2 Tablespoons) and Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Beef stroganoff is at the top of our pure comfort foods list and we want you to love it too!
More pasta recipes:
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara
- Mushroom Stroganoff (the vegetarian version)
- Chicken Pot Pie Pasta
- Bacon Mushroom Chicken Alfredo
- Garlic Butter Mushroom Shrimp Pasta
- Beef Noodle Casserole
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Dinner Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 lbs beef sirloin cut into 1/4" thick pieces
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 and 1/2 cup beef stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12 oz wide egg noodles
- Preheat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- Add beef to hot skillet and cook for 1 minute on both sides. Remove onto a plate.
- To the same skillet, add onion slices, garlic and mushrooms. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add butter and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir in until there is no flour visible. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Drizzle in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until combined. Simmer on low until thick, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a stock pot bring water to boil. Add salt and noodles. Cook until done, about 7 minutes. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
- When vegetable sauce is thick, add back cooked beef and stir in. Add sour cream and stir until combined and the sauce is creamy. Remove from heat.
- Serve sauce over noodles. Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published on February 22nd, 2016 and updated on October 17th, 2019.