Easy Mushroom Stroganoff is a quick and easy vegetarian version of classic beef stroganoff. Packed with flavor and on the table under 20 minutes.
Serve this pasta with garlic bread or breadsticks for a whole meal your family will love.
If you have Meatless Mondays on your weekly menu, I have just the recipe for you to try: Easy Mushroom Stroganoff. It's a vegetarian version of a classic: beef stroganoff. In place of the meat, we are using mushrooms. Still flavorful, still delicious but lighter in calories and healthier. You can make it vegan by using almond milk for the creamy sauce and vegan noodles. This Easy Mushroom Stroganoff can be done on your table in under 20 minutes. It's quick, easy and perfect for busy weeknights when you want something delicious but healthy.
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- vegetable stock
- milk (any kind, even almond)
- wide noodles
Thanks to the flavorful mushrooms, you will not miss the beef in this stroganoff. Mushrooms add the umami flavor to a dish and here they are the perfect substitute for the meat.
- Simply saute garlic, onions and mushrooms together.
- Add vegetable stock and thicken with milk and cornstarch slurry.
- Stir in cooked noodles and serve garnished with parsley.
The whole dish can be done under 20 minutes. It's quick, easy and flavorful.
You can customize this dish to your preferences. I like to add spinach at the end of cooking, just before I stir in the noodles. You can use more mushrooms if you are a big fan. I think 8 oz. of white mushrooms is plenty to make a delicious sauce. Add sour cream to truly mimic the classic beef stroganoff or skip it to keep it vegan. Garnish with grated Parmesan or sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
More light and healthy dinner recipes:
- Black Bean Taco Salad
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- 20-Minute Skillet Pasta with Tomatoes, Spinach and Beans
- Garlic Butter Mushroom Shrimp Pasta
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz. white mushrooms washed and sliced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup milk 2%, 1%, almond, etc
- 8 oz. dry wide noodles
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook noodles according to instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes OR until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add thyme, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together cornstarch and milk. Make sure there are no clumps in the mixture.
- Add cornstarch and milk mixture to skillet. Stir and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add cooked and drained noodles and stir gently.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Pretty good! Might use more spices and Greek yogurt next time.
My husband and I loved this recipe! Adding the sour cream made the dish even more rich.
It looks really good! A great weeknight meal for my family!
Absolutely! Thanks so much!
This looks super fabulous! Mmm! I want to dig right into the pan. Your version of this classic looks great!
Thank you, Patricia! I hope you love it!
It looks so good! Such an amazing weeknight meal!
Thank you, Toni!
Ok, this looks SO amazing. I absolutely need to try this recipe!
Yes! I hope you love it!
My kids love stroganoff for dinner! Will have to try this recipe this week!
Same here! I hope you guys love this meatless version!
I love that you got all the great flavors into a vegetarian recipe! Yum!
It's so easy too! Thanks, Sabrina!
We LOVE mushrooms, so this is definitely going on our meal list soon!!
Awesome! I hope you love it, Amanda!