This Easy Grilled Chicken recipe is a simple way to make juicy and flavorful chicken on any type of grill or grill pan. Perfect for a healthy summer dinner with your favorite sides!
Why This Method Works
Grilled chicken breast is one of the easiest recipes you can make on a grill this summer. It's perfect when you want to take a break from burgers and hot dogs. Thanks to my simple marinade with oil, soy sauce, spices, and garlic the chicken will be juicy and flavorful. The meat is tender, juicy and flavorful!
This Easy Grilled Chicken can be prepared the day before and marinaded overnight. You can also make this grilled chicken and use it chopped on top of a simple salad. So tasty!
- chicken - Use chicken breasts or thighs. You can slice thicker breasts lengthwise.
- olive oil - It will keep the chicken juicy and let it brown nicely. We all want those beautiful grill marks!
- low-sodium soy sauce - My secret ingredient that adds flavor to the marinade. Use coconut aminos for a gluten-free version.
- lemon juice - Adds a light citrus flavor and tenderizes the meat.
- apple cider vinegar - Tenderizes the meat. Keep the white vinegar for cleaning and use ACV for the marinade.
- garlic - I highly recommend using fresh garlic, mince it and whisk it with the marinade.
- paprika and oregano - My go-to spices that add flavor to the meat.
- brown sugar - Adds a nice sweet flavor to the chicken. Use honey if you prefer.
The best grilled chicken marinade:
The best grilled chicken starts with a marinade. I use olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, fresh garlic, and spices to make it. All you need to do is whisk it up and pour over the chicken breasts. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight. The longer you can let the chicken marinade, the better the flavor will be.
How to grill chicken?
- Prepare the marinade and pour it over the chicken. Place it in the fridge.
- When ready, preheat your grill to medium hot and grill chicken breasts on each side for 7 to 9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breasts.
- If you have thick chicken breasts, I recommend slicing them in half lengthwise.
- The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Always check in the thickest part of the breast to ensure it's done.
- Next, place the chicken on a plate and let it rest before slicing or serving. That will keep the chicken juicy and prevent the juices from escaping.
Grilling time for chicken breast:
The cooking time for grilled chicken depends on the thickness of the breast. It can take from 7 to 9 minutes on each side for the chicken breast to be done and the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F. Always check the temperature with a meat thermometer. I recommend Thermoworks products. They are very easy to use and extremely accurate.
What to serve with grilled chicken breast?
There is an array of side dishes that can be served with grilled chicken. Our creamy and cool Cucumber Tomato Salad is perfect for summer dinners, as well as the delicious Dill Pickle Potato Salad. Let's not forget the popular restaurant favorites: the KFC Coleslaw Recipe and the Instant Pot Baked Beans. One of my favorite drinks to serve with grilled chicken on a hot summer day is my Peach Ginger Agua Fresca. It's so refreshing and thirst-quenching!
- I like to poke the chicken with a fork before adding the marinade. It allows it to penetrate the meat and infuse it with even more flavor.
- I really recommend using fresh garlic in this recipe. The powder will give it a hint of flavor but the freshly minced garlic will really make it present. If you don't like that, feel free to use garlic powder.
- Plan ahead. Every time you use a marinade, you need to add the marinating time to the whole cooking process. Luckily, it's a quick and easy step to add everything to a bag or a dish and stick it in the fridge in the evening. The next day, your chicken is ready for grilling.
- Every time you cook meat, it's best to let it rest after cooking. It allows the juices to redistribute in the meat. If you cut it right away, the juices will escape and you end up with a dry chicken.
Kitchen tools needed:
A grill - you can use a gas or charcoal grill for this recipe. You can also use a grill pan and cook the chicken on the stovetop.
A pair of metal tongs - very helpful in placing and flipping the chicken on the grill.
A bowl or large container - for marinating the chicken. A large mixing bowl works great here! Just remember to wash the container thoroughly after marinating and discarding the remaining liquid.
A meat thermometer is essential for cooking meat. I recommend printing and keeping on hand a sheet with the temperature for a variety of meats.
More grilling recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Easy Grilled Chicken recipe
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Place chicken in a large mixing bowl or container.1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, spices and brown sugar. Pour over chicken. Turn it over to make sure it is coated with marinade.¼ cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground paprika, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, up to 12 hours. The longer the chicken marinates, the more flavor it will have.
- When ready, preheat the grill to medium high temperature ( between 350 and 400℉).
- Place chicken over direct heat and cook on each side for 7 to 9 minutes OR until the internal temperature reaches 165℉. Always check the cooking meat with a thermometer, especially in the thickest parts of the breast.
- Place cooked chicken on plate and let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- This Easy Grilled Chicken can be prepared the day before and marinaded overnight. You can also make this grilled chicken and use it chopped on top of a simple salad. So tasty!
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.