The best Instant Pot Baked Beans cooked in your pressure cooker! No soaking needed for this easiest, fail-proof recipe! This is a perfect side dish recipe for your next BBQ dinner.
Some of my favorite things to cook in my Instant Pot are bean dishes. I no longer buy canned beans because cooking them under pressure is so easy! Depending on the type of bean, in general, you can have a big batch of beans done in half an hour. My Instant Pot Black Beans cook in 25 minutes, the pinto beans for Instant Pot Refried Beans cook for 45 minutes. It’s just so easy! These baked beans cook in 33 minutes, for the perfect texture, and then simmer in the sweet sauce.
You are not cooking beans in tomato sauce so there is no chance of the dish burning. You can customize the sauce flavor to your likings. Also, add bacon or bits of pork if you like! These Instant Pot Baked Beans are absolutely delicious and perfect for your next barbecue party!
- great Northern or Navy beans
- BBQ sauce
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Start by checking if your stainless steel insert it in your Instant Pot.
- Place beans into pot, then add onion, bacon and water. Stir.
- Close the lid, set valve to sealing position, set timer to 33 minutes. Make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure.
- Once the timer is done, let the pressure release naturally. It’s recommended for cooking beans.
- Once the pressure pin is done, open the lid carefully. Drain beans from liquid. Place back in the Instant Pot.
- Press “saute” setting.
- Add ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir well. Simmer until bubbly. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Let the beans sit for 15 minutes or so. The mixture will thicken while it cools.
Why is this recipe the best?
- no canned beans, no soaking: dried beans are cheaper and you can make this recipe without soaking them overnight, yet still get the perfect texture.
- no burn message: we are not pressure cooking the beans in tomato sauce so the IP will not burn the dish.
- flavor: use your favorite BBQ sauce for the best flavor; add molasses for deeper, sweet flavor;
What beans are the best for making baked beans?
I always use great Northern beans when making baked beans. Navy beans are great too! Great Northern beans are a little bit larger than the navy kind. In general, you want to use a white type of bean.
More Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
For more pressure cooker recipes, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The best Instant Pot Baked Beans cooked in your pressure cooker! No soaking needed for this easiest, fail-proof recipe! The sauce is made with ketchup or tomato sauce, your favorite BBQ sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. It's the perfect side dish for your next BBQ dinner.
- 2 cups dried great Northern beans see note
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 4 slices bacon chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Check if your stainless steel insert it in your Instant Pot and the lid has the silicone ring in place.
Place beans into the Instant Pot. Add onion, bacon and water. Stir.
Close the lid, set valve to sealing position (the newer models do this on their own). Set timer to 33 minutes. Make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure. The IP will beep and will start coming to pressure, which will take 10 to 12 minutes.
Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off" button and let the pressure release naturally. It's recommended for cooking beans.
Once the pressure pin is done, open the lid carefully away from your face. Drain beans from liquid. Place back in the Instant Pot.
Press "saute" setting.
Add ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer until bubbly. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Turn off the Instant Pot. Let the beans sit for 15 minutes or so. The mixture will thicken while it cools.
You can use navy beans in place of great Northern.
Two cups of dry beans equal 1 lb of dry beans.
This recipe makes about 6 cups of beans. Each serving is 1/2 cup.
Make sure you use cold water to cook the beans. Warm or hot water will affect the cooking time and final result. You may end up with crunchy beans.