Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – the easiest way to make creamy and cheesy macaroni your whole family will love! It’s so easy to make with 5 ingredients right in your pressure cooker.
Forget the box mac and make this mac and cheese with real ingredients, real cheese in just 12 minutes. This is the fastest and fail-proof way to make this classic dish that the whole family will love. The Instant Pot pressure cooker wins again! This macaroni and cheese could not be easier to make. Even my 11-year-old can make it!
This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or simply when you are craving comfort food. You can jazz up this mac by adding steamed vegetables or cooked meat.
- Place water, macaroni, nutmeg and butter in your Instant Pot insert.
- Close lid, set valve to sealing and set timer to 5 minutes. The IP will take about 7 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once done, stir the macaroni. Add evaporated milk and cheese, 1/2 cup at a time until it’s your desired texture.
- Serve right away or place in a baking dish, top with breadcrumb topping if desired and place under broiler to toast it up.
- elbow macaroni
- water and chicken or vegetable stock
- nutmeg, salt and pepper
- evaporated milk (or half and half)
- cheese (mozzarella and cheddar)
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, you can double the ingredients to make more mac and cheese. The cooking time stays the same.
If you store cooked mac and cheese, the pasta will soak up the sauce. You can reheat this mac and cheese right in your Instant Pot, on the saute setting, or on stove-top but you may need a little bit of milk to get the desired consistency.
- add broccoli, peas and carrots, corn, etc
- add cooked chicken, turkey or ham
- serve with pulled pork on your next barbecue
More Instant Pot pasta recipes:
For more recipes using the digital pressure cooker, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
Also, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance! Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The easiest way to make creamy Mac and Cheese, right in your Instant Pot. It requires 5 real ingredients and cooks in 12 minutes (including coming to pressure).
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken stock low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1.75 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1.25 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Place macaroni, butter, nutmeg, salt, stock and water in Instant Pot insert. Close the lid and set the valve to "sealing" position.
Press the "manual" or "pressure cook" button and set timer to 5 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to high pressure. The pressure cooker will take about 7 minutes to come to pressure and start cooking.
When the IP beeps, press "cancel/off" button and wait one minute. Then switch the valve to quickly release the pressure. Open lid carefully, away from your face.
Add milk to macaroni and stir well.
Add cheese, half of a cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. See notes.
You can serve mac immediately or bake in a dish with breadcrumb topping, if desired.
You can use Gruyere cheese in place of mozzarella cheese.
I prefer the mild cheddar in mac and cheese because I find the sharp cheddar too chalky for my taste. Feel free to use what you like.
Add 1/2 cup of cheese at a time until you reach desired consistency. I used 1 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
To jazz it up, you can add steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots and peas or shredded cooked chicken or ground cooked turkey.