This Easy Creamy Coleslaw is perfect for potlucks and BBQ dinners! The creamy dressing is simple and delicious!
We love this coleslaw served with my Fried Chicken or Pulled Pork and alongside with Baked Potatoes or Potato Salad.
One of the most popular side dishes for potlucks or BBQ dinners is hands down coleslaw. This easy, homemade Creamy Coleslaw is my go-to recipe. It's easy and delicious! You can make it on the morning of the day you will serve it or a day before. It's creamy, slightly sweet and tangy, just all around perfect. I love serving it with air fried or grilled chicken as well as in pulled pork sandwiches.
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage (one small head)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium size)
- sour cream
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- yellow mustard
- celery salt or fresh leaves
- Start by chopping the cabbage and combine it with shredded carrots in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl and pour over slaw.
- Toss everything together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk mayo, sour cream, mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, onion powder and chopped celery leaves.
- Pour over cabbage and carrot mix.
- Toss well to coat.
Fresh vegetables vs. coleslaw mix in a bag
You can use either one in this recipe, but if you can, go with fresh cabbage and carrots. Simply chop cabbage and shred the carrots and toss them together. You can use a mix of green and purple cabbage for an added pop of color.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this coleslaw one day ahead and keep in the fridge, in a covered container. I make it in the morning of the day I will be serving it and by dinner time, it's absolutely perfect. The next day, the coleslaw can turn watery so read the next tip to learn how to avoid that.
How to keep it from being watery?
If you know you won't be serving the coleslaw the same day you make it, take this simple step to prevent it from turning watery. After you chop the cabbage, place it in a colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let it sit like that for 1 hour (more if possible) to draw out the liquid. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and dry cabbage with a paper towel. Follow the recipe below to make coleslaw, except skip the salt.
More easy side dish recipes
For more recipes, feel free to browse our Side Dish Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out! 😀
Easy Creamy Coleslaw
!for the coleslaw:
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
!for the coleslaw dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise I used olive oil mayo
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh leaves chopped (see note)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together shredded cabbage and carrots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour over coleslaw. Toss to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
If you don't have fresh celery leaves, use ¼ teaspoon of celery salt.
This is an awesome side dish to my fried chicken!
Becky Hardin says
Love everything about this coleslaw! So good! I have to make it soon!
Five stars for being easy to make and delicious!
So creamy!! This is the perfect side dish for a potluck!
I agree! It's delicious!
So delicious! This is my favorite go-to recipe for summer BBQs!
Same here! We love it! Thank you, Stephanie!
This is a must for summer so easy and so good!
I could eat it every day! 😀