This No-Mayo Potato Salad features golden potatoes, green onions, herbs, and a simple vinaigrette! No mayo insight which means this salad is perfect for picnics and backyard BBQs!
Simple No Mayo Potato Salad
When I am asked, what to serve with grilled chicken or burgers, almost always I will say "potato salad"! It's a staple in our house during summer. My Instant Pot Potato Salad is always a hit! However, I do know that there are many people who just don't like mayo.
So, if you need to avoid mayonnaise but would love to enjoy this classic dish, this recipe is for you! Simple ingredients, fresh herbs, and zesty vinaigrette make this healthy dish a hit. No mayo also means the salad will keep longer and it's great served outdoors. Win-win!
- potatoes: gold or red
- onions: I used green but red is delicious as well
- olive oil
- lemon juice: needed to make the vinaigrette; apple cider vinegar can be substituted
- herbs: I used thyme and parsley
- salt and pepper
How to make Potato Salad without mayo?
- Start by chopping potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Place them in a large pot and cover them with water.
- Bring to a boil and then cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and cool completely.
- Make vinaigrette and pour over potatoes.
- Add chopped onions. Toss everything together.
Why chop potatoes before cooking?
I always chop my potatoes before cooking, when I want to use them for salads. Why? There are three reasons:
- I don't have to deal with potatoes that are sometimes still raw in the center even though the outside is very fluffy (yes, that happens!),
- I don't have to chop hot potatoes, which can turn into mush,
- already chopped potatoes cook faster!
You can make this recipe as written or use it as a base and add other ingredients, like:
- whole kernel corn
- red bell pepper, chopped
- cooked and chopped carrots
- hard-boiled eggs
- and many more!
How long does potato salad last?
This potato salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Any leftovers are best stored in containers with lids. A drizzle of freshly squeezed lemon juice just before serving will add a burst of fresh flavor!
More side dish recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
No Mayo Potato Salad
- 1 ½ lbs gold potatoes
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and chop potatoes into bite-size pieces. I leave the skin on, but you can remove it.1 ½ lbs gold potatoes
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water.
- Bring to a boil and then cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes OR until fork-tender. Do not overcook!
- Drain potatoes and cool completely. Place into a large bowl.
- In the meantime, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add thyme leaves and chopped parsley. Pour vinaigrette over potatoes.1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Add chopped onions. Toss everything together.2 green onions
- This potato salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Any leftovers are best stored in containers with lids.
- Chop potatoes before cooking to decrease the prep time.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.