This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is an easy and affordable weeknight dinner made with chicken thighs, lemon and garlic. The chicken is juicy and flavorful and the whole dish is done in under 30 minutes!
Why You'll Love This Dish
One of the most affordable cuts of chicken and one of the easiest to cook are thighs. They are more flavorful than chicken breast and easier to remain juicy once cooked. This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is a perfect way to use them and make an easy dish that is bursting with flavor.
I really enjoy the simplicity of this method of cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs. The lemon seasoning is my favorite to use. The gravy is a delicious bonus too! Just add cornstarch to thicken it and pour over each chicken thigh when serving.
- chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken thighs but chicken breast works too;
- lemon: use fresh because we need citrus zest for this dish;
- garlic: I prefer fresh, minced but if you are in a pinch, use garlic powder;
- chicken stock: serves as the liquid needed to build the pressure; it adds flavor and you can turn the liquid into delicious gravy; water can be substituted;
- Italian seasoning: a mix of dried basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and marjoram;
- olive oil: necessary for browning the chicken.
How to make Lemon Chicken in the Instant Pot?
- I started by trimming the fat off the chicken thighs.
- I mixed oil, lemon zest, and seasoning and rubbed it on the chicken.
- I set the Instant Pot to saute setting and added oil to the pot.
- I browned the chicken thighs on both sides. Once done, I removed them onto a plate.
- I added half the chicken stock and scraped any cooked-on bits from the bottom of the pot.
- I placed the trivet in the pressure cooker and arrange the chicken on the trivet. I poured the remaining stock into the Instant Pot.
- I closed the lid, pressed "manual" or "pressure cook" and set the timer to 7 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle was done, I pressed "cancel/off" and let the IP release pressure naturally.
- I opened the lid (always away from my face because the steam will escape the pot as soon as you open it) and removed the chicken onto a plate.
- I mixed cornstarch with water and added it to the liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot. It will thicken while simmering on saute setting.
- I served the gravy with chicken.
Yes! If you are using bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, you will need to add more minutes to the cooking time. I suggest setting the timer for 12 minutes.
Absolutely! You can use 2 chicken breasts, cut lengthwise. Follow the recipe as written below.
Any leftovers should be stored in a container with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
What to serve with this chicken dinner?
I love to serve this dish with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. It's perfect for soaking up the gravy. Rice or pasta works perfectly too! Any vegetable side dish pairs wonderfully with this chicken. Here are some of my favorites:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Perfect Caesar Salad
- Sauteed Spinach
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Quick Radish Salad
More Instant Pot chicken recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
- 5 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Start by trimming fat off the chicken thighs.5 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- In a small bowl, mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, seasoning and rub on chicken.1 lemon, 2 teaspoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Heat up oil in the Instant Pot on saute setting (set to normal).1 tablespoon olive oil
- Brown chicken on both sides. It won't be cooked through. Set on a plate.
- Add half chicken stock to the Instant Pot. Scrape any cooked-on bits from the bottom of the pot. Add remaining stock and lemon juice.1 cup chicken stock
- Place trivet in the pressure cooker and arrange chicken on top.
- Close the lid, switch the pressure valve to "sealing" position (newer models do it on their own). Press “manual” or “pressure cook” setting and set timer to 7 minutes. Make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, press “cancel/off” and let the IP release pressure naturally.
- Once the pressure pin drops, open the lid away from your face and remove chicken onto a plate. Remove trivet.
- If you want to make gravy, mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and add to liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Stir until it thickens or simmer on saute setting.
- Serve chicken with gravy.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.