Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken Recipe - juicy and delicious whole chicken cooked in the pressure cooker. Great as a main dish or as a rotisserie chicken for other dishes.
I like to serve this chicken with Sweet Corn Casserole and Classic Waldorf Salad for a delicious yet easy meal, any day of the week or lazy weekends.
After the success of my Instant Pot Turkey Breast, I knew I had to try and cook a whole chicken in my favorite appliance. I am so happy with the results! The chicken is juicy and delicious, not to mention the Instant Pot does the work and I don't have to baste it and tend to it.
INSTANT POT WHOLE CHICKEN
This Instant Pot Whole Chicken is juicy and delicious every time. Another reason to love my Instant Pot! I can have the chicken done in ⅓ of the time it would take to roast it in the oven!
HOW TO COOK WHOLE CHICKEN IN INSTANT POT?
- Start by checking if your stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. To know why I always mention this step, read my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners.
- In a small bowl, mix the seasonings with olive oil. Remove the giblets from the chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Rub seasoning all over the chicken, you can insert some of it under the skin, close to the cavity. Place lemon wedges and garlic cloves in the chicken cavity.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the Instant Pot insert. Set the trivet inside. Place seasoned chicken on a trivet. Close the lid, make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure. Switch valve to "sealing" position. Set timer to 27 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Once the timer beeps and the cooking is done, press "cancel/off" and DO NOT switch the valve to venting. Let the pressure release naturally to ensure juicy chicken.
- When the pressure pin dropped, carefully open the lid away from your face. Remove the chicken onto a baking sheet if you want to broil the skin or on a serving plate. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Make gravy with remaining liquid in the IP, if desired. Mix two tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water. Simmer with liquid in the IP.
HOW LONG TO COOK WHOLE CHICKEN IN INSTANT POT?
The general rule for cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, is to cook it for 6 minutes per pound. My chicken weighed 4.4lb so I cooked it for 27 minutes. It was absolutely perfect! Always check cooked meat with a thermometer to make sure it is cooked through. Always let the pressure release naturally to ensure juicy chicken. If you release the pressure quickly, the juices will escape the meat and your chicken will be dry.
WHAT SEASONING TO USE FOR WHOLE CHICKEN?
You can use simple seasoning, like a ready mix for poultry stirred with olive oil. I like to make my own, depending on what flavors I want. This time I made lemon garlic seasoning. I mixed olive oil, fresh garlic, lemon zest, dried celery flakes, paprika and dried onion. After the seasoning is mixed, rub it all over the chicken. Don't forget to pat it dry with a paper towel before applying the seasoning.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS INSTANT POT WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN?
If you are serving the whole chicken as a main dish, you can serve it with so many great side dishes: Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions, The Best Sauteed Spinach and of course the gravy you can make from the liquid remaining after cooking the chicken.
If you want to use the chicken for other dishes, skip broiling the skin, remove it and slice the meat. Shred and keep in an air-tight container in the fridge to use in Chicken Noodle Soup, Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta, chicken salads, etc.
OTHER INSTANT POT RECIPES:
Instant Pot Turkey Breast (fresh or frozen)
Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes.
To learn more about the Instant Pot, check out my Guide for Beginners. If you experienced the “burn” message while using your IP, check out my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn how to fix the issue and prevent it in the first place.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken recipe
- 1 whole chicken mine was 4.4 lbs
- 1.5 cups water or chicken broth
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lemon quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- Check if your stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. To know why I always mention this step, read my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix the seasonings with olive oil. Rub seasoning all over the chicken, you can insert some of it under the skin, close to the cavity. Place lemon wedges and garlic cloves in the chicken cavity.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the Instant Pot insert. Set the trivet inside. Place seasoned chicken on a trivet. Close the lid, make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure. Switch valve to "sealing" position. Set timer to 27 minutes (6 minutes per pound!). It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Once the timer beeps and the cooking is done, press "cancel/off" and DO NOT switch the valve to venting. Let the pressure release naturally to ensure juicy chicken.
- When the pressure pin dropped, carefully open the lid away from your face. Remove the chicken onto a baking sheet if you want to broil the skin or on a serving plate. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tried this tonight and it was delicious. I added a few stems of fresh thyme in the cavity along with the lemon wedges and garlic and the smell was heavenly....brought everyone into the kitchen. Hubby and kids loved it.
Thank you for sharing!
Connie Summers says
Omg the bestest chicken ever. So moist and good.
Yay! Thank you, Connie!
Is the chicken used cold from the refrigerator ? Or do you let it sit out for a bit?
C. Wallace says
I just made this with a chicken cold from the refrigerator, worked just fine =)
My very first recipe in my brand new Instant Pot! (I steamed some brown rice but that doesn't count)
Very tasty and easy! I made up my own marinade.
That's wonderful! I am so glad it was a hit!
james genua says
I am an IP newbie. I have a question unrelated to the recipe. If there is a preset button for poultry, why does the recipe not use it?
Peppi Kramer says
I made this for dinner tonight and was impressed. After a number of attempts for a whole chicken, I gave up. Most came out with mushy meat. so I cut the time back to 20 minutes on a 5.5# bird. Came out perfect, great flavor and 2 cups of gravy.
I don't have a trivit... Can I put in without, or do I need to buy one?
Hi Candice! Your Instant Pot should have the trivet (wire rack) included. If not, you can use forks or balls of aluminum foil. The chicken should not be in the liquid so it is recommended to use a trivet.
Kathy Rae says
I was hoping to add potatoes and sweet potatoes to this recipe. Can I do that and if so do I need to increase the cooking time?
If it is frozen does that change cooking time??
Hoping to make this tonight
Hi Brooke! I didn't test this recipe with a frozen chicken so I can't guarantee how it will turn out. In general, the Instant Pot will take longer to come to pressure since the bird is frozen. I would add at least 5 min to cooking time. Hope this helps!
I was wondering the same thing about a frozen whole chicken. Didn’t realize that the hubs had put it in the freezer! Was planning on trying this tonight.
Hello! Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I just tried it for the first time and it was absolutely delicious! I added just a bit of apple cider vinegar to the mix as well!
Hi Jared! That's awesome! I am so glad you like the chicken. Thank you for trying my recipe!
Tara Jones says
Can you cook the giblets in the bottom of the instant pot with your water? We love giblet gravy and it would be nice not to have to use a separate pan for it. Thank you!
Hi Tara! It should be just fine. Let me know if you try it!
TONI YACOBONI says
how long do I cook a 7lb bird?
So ended up marinating and putting away for a few hours. My bird was 3.5 lbs so set it for 21 minutes.
I felt the seasoning was lacking as it was quite bland for our taste. Also, it was so well done that as I was carving it up, the drumstick just came off the meat. Thank you though.
Robin Nayyar says
Looks fantastic. Planning on making this tonight. Since I have time, is it a good idea to marinate it with the rub and let it sit till the evening before throwing in the IP?
Also, I have a 8 qt. IP. Should in up the broth quantity to 2 cups instead of 1. 5? Thanks!
Yes, if the manual says to use at least 2 cups, I recommend following that.
Hi Robin! That could work. I actually like that idea. Let me know how you like the chicken when it's done! Thanks so much!
Jan Steiner says
Why the need for more than 1 cup of broth/water?
Hi!! Made this last nite!! OMG! Absolutely Amazing! Thank U 4 an Amazing Recipe! 😁
I am so glad it was a hit! Thanks so much!
any idea of what i should set it at if i have a cut up whole chicken and would like to put red skin potatoes under to then mash ? either way i can't wait to cook this tomorrow for my brother's visit! thanks!
The seasonings on this are perfection!
I've never cooked chicken in the instant pot before but this was so easy and delicious...thanks!
Mouth watering! This chicken looks so crispy and tender! A must try recipe!
Melanie Bauer says
Looks absolutely perfect! Such an easy and delicious dish for dinner, need to make this!
Mahy Elamin says
I made this tonight and it was so tasty and tender. We loved it. This is a must try recipe.
Fantastic! Thank you so much, Mahy!
Chrissie Baker says
This looks really good for dinner tonight!
YUM! This would be the perfect Sunday dinner for when the inlaws come over!
Right? And so easy to make! 😀
So delicious and flavorful! Made today and l loved it.
That's wonderful! Thank you, Dee!
Julie Blanner says
This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Allyson Zea says
This was so good using my instant pot!
Perfect! Thanks, Allyson!
Mallory Lanz says
I love that a good roast chicken isn't so far away if you use the instant pot.
Me too! Thanks, Mallory!
ive always wanted to roast a whole chicken but never had the confidence or just the right recipe! This turned out amazing!
Yay! I am so happy it was a hit! Thanks, Krissy!