Sweet Corn Casserole - a classic corn pudding made from scratch, with a cheesy topping. No cornbread mix needed.
Cheesy corn casserole is a staple side dish for the holidays, here in the Midwest. This recipe is one of the easiest side dish casserole recipes made with my Homemade Cornbread Mix, which requires only 4 ingredients. No need for store-bought mix! This corn casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Top with cheese right after baking for a gooey melty topping!
- whole kernel corn (1 can)
- creamed corn (1 can)
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- baking powder
Step by step instructions
If you are making your own cornbread mix, whisk the ingredients together and set aside so it's ready to go. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl, then bake in a casserole dish. This is really that easy!
Step 1: mix corn
Place corn in mixing bowl and stir with sour cream.
Step 2: butter and cornbread mix
Add melted butter and cornbread mix and stir in well.
Step 3: bake
Pour the batter into a baking dish and bake. Once done, top with cheese and cover for a few minutes to let it melt. You can also sprinkle the cheese before baking but it will set and won't be as gooey and melty.
Can I use frozen corn to make this dish?
You can certainly use frozen corn to make this dish, but you will have to thaw it out first. Otherwise, the corn will release too much moisture during baking and the dish won't bake properly.
Can I use fresh corn off the cob to make this dish?
Yes! Fresh corn in place of canned whole kernel corn is fantastic here! It will have more bit to it and more flavor.
Storing and freezing
You can easily make this dish up to 2 days ahead of time. I suggest topping it with cheese after reheating.
You can bake this corn casserole, cool completely and freeze in a freezer-safe container or a bag. It will keep just fine for up to 4 months. To reheat, thaw it out in the fridge, then let it sit in room temperature while the oven is preheating. Bake, then top with cheese.
If you are making this corn casserole ahead of time or have any leftovers, place them in a covered container or cover the baking dish and store it in a fridge.
More side dish recipes:
- Green Bean Casserole from scratch
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Cranberry Relish
For more recipes like this, feel free to browse our Side Dish Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Sweet Corn Casserole
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Grease 13" x 9" casserole dish or 2 qt baking dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix whole kernel corn and creamed corn. Add eggs and whisk in.
- Add sour cream and mix in.
- Add melted butter and mix in.
- Add cornmeal mix and stir in well.
- Pour the batter into casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes on the center rack of your oven.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover lightly with aluminum foil or a lid.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, to let the cheese melt.
- If you are using a store-bought cornbread mix, skip the first 4 ingredients.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.