Green Bean Casserole from Scratch – the healthiest way to make this creamy and delicious traditional dish. Made with fresh green beans and no cans of cream of soup!
This is our second side dish from our Family Day dinner. It’s a classic but made from scratch, meaning no cans of cream of mushroom soup or canned beans here. It’s really easy to make this dish from scratch and I highly recommend it. You can control the flavors and feel good knowing what’s in it.
For holiday dinner, I like to make as many things from scratch as I have time for. I would never trade my homemade cranberry sauce for the canned stuff (yuck!) or my homemade pumpkin pie for the store bakery one. Side dishes that we have been doing the same way since forever, can easily be prepared from scratch and ahead of time! That’s what I love about this Green Bean Casserole from Scratch! Make it a day ahead, refrigerate until dinner time and bake when ready. You can win some serious points for this. 🙂
- Cook the beans in boiling water until tender. Do not overcook them! They will finish up in the oven.
- The creamy sauce starts with bacon and sauteed onion and mushrooms and finished off with milk and cornstarch mixture.
- Top with French fried onions and bake until bubbly.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- half and half
- white or baby Bella mushrooms
- yellow onion
- salt and pepper
- French fried onions
- only partially cook the green beans for the best result
- use homemade fried onions, if you like
- use bacon for added flavor
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this casserole a day ahead and keep covered in the fridge. Top with French fried onions just before baking.
- Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- Instant Pot Ham
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The healthiest way to make this creamy and delicious traditional dish. Made with fresh green beans and no cans of cream of soup!
- 1 lb fresh green beans washed, ends trimmed
- 2 cups half and half or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 7 white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Cut all beans in half and cook in boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Butter a 2qt baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sautee bacon until crispy.
- Add butter, onion and mushrooms and cook until soft.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add the milk to the saucepan, half of a cup at a time and whisk until it thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture over the green beans. Toss gently to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. You can cover the dish with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight or bake right away.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Top with French fried onions and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let sit in room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe was originally published on October 10th, 2014 and updated on June 8th, 2019.