Easy Oven Roasted Turkey Breast recipe - the only recipe you need to make a juicy, delicious bone-in turkey breast with perfectly crispy skin. The gravy is simple yet flavorful!
OVEN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST
Last year, I made a turkey breast for our holiday dinners and I decided right then that it's the best way to prepare the bird. You get the best meat for half the price and time of cooking. It's a win-win if you ask me. Follow my easy recipe to make the best, juicy turkey with crispy and delicious skin! While last year I cooked it in my Instant Pot, this year I will show you how to roast it perfectly in the oven.
This Oven Roasted Turkey Breast is very easy to prepare and the result is juicy meat with crispy skin. The turkey breast cooks in half the time as a whole turkey since it's usually half the size, yet you get the best meat from the bird. No need to tie the legs and struggle to fold the wings under the bird to set it on the roaster. Turkey breast is easier and faster to prepare.
How to roast turkey breast in the oven?
- Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare your roaster pan.
- For the best results, wash the turkey breast and pat dry with paper towels. Do not season while it's wet. Mix oil and seasoning in a small bowl and brush all over the turkey breast. Place half the vegetables inside the turkey cavity. Arrange the rest around the breast on pan.
- Roast turkey for 20 minutes per pound. For my 7 lb turkey breast, the timing was 140 minutes (2 hours and 20 minutes). For a perfectly juicy turkey with crispy skin, baste the turkey breast with pan juices every 20 minutes or so. You can take the skin off before slicing if you want to cut down on calories.
- After the turkey is done, use the pan drippings to make the gravy: measure out 2 cups of liquid, add ¼ cup of water mixed with cornstarch and simmer the mixture together in a saucepan until it thickens.
How to thaw turkey breast?
To thaw a frozen turkey breast properly, you need to plan to pull it out of the freezer at least 24 hours before cooking. Big turkeys may take even 2 days to thaw. Place the frozen turkey breast in the bottom of your fridge and let it thaw. This is the safest way and it's recommended by the USDA.
How long to cook turkey breast in the oven?
All turkeys you buy in the store will have a guide on the back of the packaging. It's good to follow it, but you have to remember to check it before you cut it to get the turkey out. The general rule is to roast the turkey breast for 20 minutes per pound. So, if my turkey breast weighs 7 lbs, I will cook it for 140 minutes (2 hours and 20 minutes). When the time is up, check the breast in the meatiest place to make sure it reads 165 degrees F. To get the crispy skin and juicy meat, you should baste the turkey breast with pan juices every 20 minutes or so. Just carefully spoon the juices from the bottom of the pan and pour all over the turkey.
What to Serve with Turkey Breast?
Everything! Ha! Here is a list of my favorite side dishes to serve with turkey and turkey breast:
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER TURKEY?
My go-to recipe is my One-Pot Turkey Tetrazzini. It's quick and the clean up afterward is minimal since the whole dish cooks in one pot. Another great way to use it is to make turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches or sliders AND toss it in place of chicken to make my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Oven-Roasted Turkey Breast
- 7 lb bone-in skin-on turkey breast
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon chopped poultry fresh herb mix rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion chopped into large slices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare your roaster pan.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix oil, paprika, herb mix, salt and pepper.
- Wash the turkey breast, remove gravy pocket. Wash and pat dry. Brush turkey breast with olive oil mixture. Place one chopped celery stalk, 2 garlic cloves and half of the onion inside the turkey. Place remaining veggies around the breast on pan. Add stock to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the turkey in the oven and cook for 20 minutes per pound. I cooked my 7 lb turkey breast for 140 minutes (2 hours and 20 minutes). Baste the turkey breast with pan juices every 20 minutes or so.
- If you want the skin crispier, place the turkey under broiler set to 440 degrees F. Broil until skin is golden and crispy, watching the turkey the whole time. You may have to rotate the pan during broiling.
- To make the gravy, drain the pan drippings through a sieve to catch the onions and garlic. You can also press them through it to get all the flavor into the gravy. Measure out two cups of the liquid and place in a saucepan. Add a mixture of 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and whisk well. Bring the mixture to boil and simmer until thickens.