Easy Hashbrown Casserole – creamy and cheesy potato dish made with just a few ingredients! No canned cream of soup needed!
EASY HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
Easy Hashbrown Casserole makes for a perfect side dish for holiday dinner, weekend brunches or when you simply crave comfort food. I am excited to share my recipe that does not require a can of condensed cream of soup yet still is creamy, cheesy and delicious! It’s pure comfort food! So good, you will reach for seconds. Made with a super easy substitute for cream of soup, sour cream and frozen hash browns, this casserole is super easy to make and can easily be prepared ahead of time.
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe Ingredients:
- frozen hashbrowns
- yellow onion
- half and half
- salt and pepper
- dried dill
- sour cream
- cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
How to make Hashbrown Casserole?
- Prepare the condensed cream of soup substitute.
- Mix hashbrowns (thawed) with the creamy mixture, sour cream, salt and pepper. It should be thick and creamy.
- Spread the mixture in a buttered casserole dish, top with cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Condensed cream of soup substitute from scratch:
Most recipes for hash brown casserole call for a can of condensed cream of chicken, celery or cheddar soup. Since I don’t use these in my kitchen, I found a way to make a creamy mixture with half and half and cornstarch as a perfect substitute. It takes only 5 to 7 minutes to cook it in a saucepan.
- First, saute garlic and onion in butter.
- Add half and half whisked with cornstarch, salt and pepper. I also add dill because I just love dill in potato dishes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy.
- At this point, you can place cooled mixture in a jar, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
Can I freeze Hashbrown Casserole?
Yes, you can easily freeze this casserole. Prepare and freeze. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Can I use frozen hashbrowns?
I recommend thawing the hashbrowns. If you use frozen hashbrowns, they will release a lot of moisture and the dish won’t bake properly.
How to reheat Hashbrown Casserole?
To reheat any leftovers, simply place the dish in the oven preheated to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
More Side Dish Casserole Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy Hashbrown Casserole - creamy and cheesy potato dish made with just a few ingredients! No canned cream of soup needed!
- 5 cups hash browns thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1.25 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is translucent.
- In a measuring cup, whisk half and half and cornstarch. Add salt, pepper and dill and whisk in.
- Add cornstarch mixture to sauteed onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool. At this point you can cool the mixture completely, cover and refrigerate until ready to use, even the next day.
- Butter a 13" x 9" or 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together hash browns, cornstarch mixture, sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Spread in prepared casserole dish.
- Top with cheese. Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes OR until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.
- This casserole cuts really easy and clean. If you want to make it more wet, add another 1/2 cup of sour cream to hash brown mixture before baking.
- This casserole can be prepared a day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Before baking, let sit in room temperature while your oven preheats.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and updated on September 26th, 2019.