Easy Sweet Potato Casserole - classic Thanksgiving holiday side dish made easy! The praline topping is irresistible!
Sweet Potato Casserole is my favorite Thanksgiving ( and holiday in general, because I make it for Christmas too ) side dish. It's sweet, delicious and the praline pecan topping is amazing! For my marshmallow loving kids, I cover the top of this casserole with mini marshmallows and bake just until they are toasted. We never have leftovers from this dish!
This recipe makes the best and easiest Sweet Potato Casserole with the perfect texture and topping. It has been a family favorite for years!
The best sweet potato casserole has to have the right texture. It needs to melt in your mouth, be smooth and not watery or soggy. This dish cuts really easy and won't run all over your plate. Cut peeled sweet potatoes into large chunks and place in a large pot. Cover with water and cook until done. Drain really well. You can also cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot ( which is my favorite method ), just like I did in this recipe. Next, mash potatoes really well, until the texture is smooth. Let the potatoes cool for a little bit before adding the rest of the ingredients. Hot potatoes with scramble the eggs. Add butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs and mix well. Spread mixture in a buttered casserole dish, prepare the topping and sprinkle on top. Bake the dish and if desired, top with mini marshmallows and place under broiler or back into the hot oven to toast them.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Cook potatoes till soft, cool completely, then mix with remaining ingredients. Spread mixture in buttered dish and cover the dish with saran wrap. Store in the fridge. Wait to top it with the pecan brown sugar topping just before baking, for best results. You can store the topping mixture in a ziploc bag. After you take the casserole out of the fridge, let it sit in a room temperature for 30 minutes. If you take it from a cold fridge to a hot oven, the dish may shatter.
Preparing the potatoes:
The most common way to cook sweet potatoes for a casserole is to peel them, chop them and cook on a stovetop in a pot. Since I had my Instant Pot, I let it do the work and I have the stovetop free to make gravy or the cranberry sauce. You can also cook sweet potatoes baked style, scoop the flesh and mash for the casserole.
To reheat a sweet potato casserole, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, to prevent the brown sugar pecan topping from burning, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Other Thanksgiving side dish recipes:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Green Bean Casserole
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted cooled
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Butter 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Cook in a pot with water until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and mash. Add butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs. Mix well. Using a whisk helps. Spread potato mixture in prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together sugar, flour, salt and nuts. Add melted butter and stir with a fork, until it forms crumbly dough.
- Sprinkle the topping over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes. If desired, add mini marshmallows. Place dish back in the oven and bake until the marshmallows are toasted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cool before serving.