Roasted Butternut Squash – sweet and spiced butternut squash roasted in the oven with honey and cinnamon. Perfect side dish for the holidays!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Roasting vegetables is my favorite way to turn them into delicious side dishes. It’s simple, easy and the roasting brings out the best flavors. This Honey Roasted Butternut Squash is just that. Sweet, spiced and each bite melts in your mouth. Perfect side dish for the holidays and special occasion dinners!
- butternut squash
- olive oil
How to Roast Butternut Squash?
There are two ways of preparing butternut squash for roasting in the oven. It all depends on what you will use it for.
- For mashed squash or smooth soup, cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until soft. Then scoop out the flesh and use it in your dish.
- For my recipe, I cut off the ends of the squash, peeled the skin off and cut the vegetable into 1″ cubes. Then drizzle with olive oil, honey, season with salt and cinnamon, place on a large baking sheet and roast in the oven for 35 minutes or until soft.
Tips for Roasting Butternut Squash:
- I highly recommend using parchment paper or silicone baking mat for roasting vegetables, like the butternut squash. I don’t like using aluminum foil for many reasons, but also because it easily rips. No one wants pieces of foil in their dish.
- The butternut squash does not dry out. It cooks into soft, melt-in-your-mouth bites that are both sweet and spiced. I love sprinkling ground cloves over the finished dish while it’s still warm and serve it with roasted chicken or braised pork chops.
More Recipes with Squash:
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Potatoes
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Sweet and spiced butternut squash roasted in the oven with honey and cinnamon. Perfect side dish for the holidays!
- 3 lb butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Cut off the ends of the squash. Cut the vegetable in half. Peel off the skin.
- Slice squash into 1" thick slices, then cut each one into 1" cubes.
- Place squash into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and honey. Season with salt and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Spread quash in a single layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pans half way, if needed. Bake until tender.
- When done, remove from oven and place in a serving dish.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- This roasted butternut squash is the best eaten the same day.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.