These Baked Acorn Squash slices are brushed with brown sugar and cinnamon butter and roasted in the oven. Also, learn how to cut acorn squash for roasting.
If you ever wondered how to make a delicious acorn squash side dish, this recipe is for you. I think it’s one of the prettiest squashes out there! Easily cut the acorn squash into slices, brush with delicious sweet cinnamon butter and bake until soft. This fall and winter side dish is so quick and easy and perfect served for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
- 1 acorn squash
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- salt and pepper
How to cut acorn squash for roasting:
- Slice off both ends from the squash.
- Cut the acorn squash in half. Remove the seeds. You can discard them or roast them with seasoning.
- Lay each half of squash cut side down on a cutting board, and cut into slices.
Step by step instructions
Follow the steps above to cut the squash into slices, brush with sweet butter mixture and roast in the oven until soft.
Step 1: Prepare the squash
Cut the acorn squash according to my steps above. Arrange slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 2: Make seasoned butter
In a small bowl, whisk melted butter with brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and cloves. Brush each slice with the butter mixture, on both sides.
Step 3: Bake
Roast the acorn squash in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Baked acorn squash is the best served right away. You can save the time on prep and slice the squash a few hours before baking. Make sure to wrap it with saran wrap and store in the fridge. Let it come to room temperature before baking.
- savory: brush each slice of squash with melted butter mixed with garlic and herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.)
- cinnamon maple: skip brown sugar and use maple syrup
More vegetable side dish recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Baked Eggplant
- Best Roasted Broccoli
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash
- Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Baked Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash mine was almost 3 lb
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Cut off both ends from acorn squash.
- Cut the squash in half.
- Place each half cut-side down on a cutting board. Cut into slices, about 3/4" thick.
- Arrange acorn squash slices on a prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk melted butter with brown sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cloves.
- Brush each squash slice with butter mixture on both sides.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, flip each slice and bake for 5 more minutes.