The Best Sauteed Spinach – fresh spinach sauteed with garlic and onions in olive oil and butter. This easiest and fastest spinach side dish is healthy and low-carb diet friendly.
One of my favorite side dishes that I can quickly whip up when short on time or when I need a healthy vegetable side, is this Sauteed Spinach. It’s flavorful and a favorite with the whole family, even the kiddos like it! Sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil and butter mixture are the perfect flavor base for fresh spinach. It’s a healthy and low-carb option for any meal! This is hands-down the best sauteed spinach recipe you will make. It’s healthy, delicious and goes with any main course. You can also use it in grain bowls with cooked quinoa, rice, black beans, tofu, etc.
How do you saute fresh spinach?
- Start by heating up olive oil in large skillet. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and saute until fragrant and the onion is almost caramelized.
- Stir in soy sauce and fresh spinach. Cook stirring often until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Let the onion caramelized. It will give the spinach dish a deeper, richer flavor. The addition of soy sauce deepens the flavor.
- Do not skimp on garlic! I love this dish quite garlicky and use up to 4 teaspoons of minced garlic.
- Use fresh spinach for the best result.
- You can roughly chop spinach leaves or use baby spinach.
Can I use frozen spinach to make this recipe?
I do not recommend using frozen spinach in this recipe. You have to thaw it before using, and it will contain too much water and splatter once added to onion in skillet.
- Add bacon: cook bacon until crispy, then add onion and garlic. Stir in spinach and saute until wilted.
- Top seared chicken breast with spinach and cheese and bake for a flavorful and delicious quick meal!
- Mix with cooked quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes and red onion for a delicious grain salad.
Recipes with spinach:
- Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Cheesy Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Sliders
- 20-Minute Skillet Pasta with Tomatoes, Spinach and Beans
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
A fresh spinach sauteed with garlic and onions in olive oil and butter. This easiest and fastest spinach side dish is healthy and low-carb diet friendly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic see note
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and butter and saute until the onion is starting to brown.
Add soy sauce and stir well. Add spinach and gently toss to mix with sauteed onion.
Cook until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.