This Creamy Boursin Pasta is a one-pot dish with bite-size pasta, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and the star of the show: the Boursin cheese! Don't forget the toasted Parmesan bread crumbs. It's the best pasta topping!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Pasta is not only comfort food for many but also one of the easiest meals you can make. It can be simple for busy weeknights or fancy for special occasions. Recently, I discovered a product that makes it even easier. Boursin cheese can be added to sauteed veggies and it melts into a creamy, flavorful sauce. I am sold!
I sauteed onion, garlic, and mushrooms and added the shallot and chive Boursin cheese. The sauce was creamy, delicious and I couldn't stop tasting it! Along with rigatoni and some fresh spinach, this was a filling and tasty meal! So if you have this cheese in your fridge, instead of spreading it on crackers or baguettes, turn it into a pasta sauce. You will thank me later!
- pasta: I like bite-size pasta for this dish so I used mezzi rigatoni from DeLallo;
- Boursin cheese: this is a spreadable Gournay cheese; I used the shallot and chive;
- mushrooms: white or baby Bella
- spinach: fresh leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- garlic: I used 3 cloves but you can use more; go with your preferences
- onion: yellow or white but red works too
- salt and pepper: always added to season the dish; the amounts in my recipe are just suggestions; adjust accordingly
- olive oil: perfect mild oil for sauteing veggies in this dish
- toasted bread crumbs: my favorite pasta topping! See my tip below on how to make it.
How to make pasta with Boursin cheese?
- Start by cooking pasta according to the instructions on the package. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain the cooked pasta.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until almost translucent.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms soften.
- Add Boursin cheese and stir to melt.
- Add spinach and cooked pasta. Stir everything together.
- Serve with toasted bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese.
What is Boursin cheese?
Boursin cheese is a spreadable, creamy Gourany cheese with additional ingredients, like garlic, herbs, shallots, onions, Balsamic, figs, etc. The brand now makes a dairy-free option as well as a cooking cream. This cheese was created by François Boursin, a cheesemaker from Normandy, in 1963.
Toasted Parmesan bread crumbs pasta topping:
Since making the toasted Parmesan bread crumb topping for my lemon ricotta pasta, I now sprinkle it on every pasta dish. It adds a crunchy texture but also a toasty cheese flavor. It's fantastic! Simply melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan (use the same pan you will cook the dish in), add ½ cup of bread crumbs (plain or Italian style) and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and toast, stirring often, until nicely golden brown. Remove into a bowl and sprinkle over the finished dish!
Absolutely! You can cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces and cook first in oil, then saute the vegetables. Add the cooked chicken along with pasta to the sauce. Shrimp or Italian sausage can be used as well!
I recommend storing leftovers in a container with a lid, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The pasta will inevitably absorb even more sauce as it chills in the fridge, so you will need to add some liquid when reheating. Start with ¼ cup of vegetable stock or just water. Reheat on the stove, in a pan, or in a microwave. Stir until the dish is creamy again. Enjoy!
More delicious pasta dishes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Creamy Boursin Pasta
- 3 cups bite-size pasta I used mezzi rigatoni, see notes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 5.2 oz Boursin cheese I used shallot and chive
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- toasted bread crumbs topping see notes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. I used my Always Pan, which is deep, so I cooked the pasta in the steamer, drained and used the pan to make the dish.3 cups bite-size pasta
- Once the pasta is cooked, reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain the rest.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until almost translucent.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium yellow onion
- Add minced garlic and sliced mushrooms. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms soften.3 garlic cloves, 6 oz white mushrooms
- Add Boursin cheese and stir to melt.5.2 oz Boursin cheese
- Add ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water and stir in.
- Add spinach and pasta and stir everything together. Cook to heat it all through. Add more pasta water to make the sauce as creamy as you like.2 cups fresh spinach
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with toasted bread crumbs and chopped parsley.toasted bread crumbs topping, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- You can cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces and cook first in oil, then saute the vegetables. Add the cooked chicken along with pasta to the sauce. Shrimp or Italian sausage can be used as well!
- I prefer a bite-size pasta for this dish but fettuccine or linguine works too!
- To make toasted bread crumbs topping: melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan (use the same pan you will cook the dish in), add ½ cup of bread crumbs (plain or Italian style) and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and toast, stirring often, until nicely golden brown.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.