This Creamy Zucchini Pasta is made with shredded zucchini, fettuccini pasta, and creamy Alfredo-like sauce. It's a fresh and delicious summer pasta dish that comes together in 20 minutes!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This summer dish is officially on our weekly rotation this season. In fact, I am stocking up on zucchini and freezing it so I can make this dish any time of the year. It's quick, easy, and absolutely delicious! This creamy zucchini pasta features fettuccine pasta, shredded fresh zucchini, and a creamy Parmesan sauce that binds the two start ingredients into one creamy and flavorful dish.
I enjoy zucchini in many forms. My zucchini soup with feta is always a hit, the zucchini fritters are delicious for lunch, and cheddar baked zucchini makes for an easy and delicious appetizer. If you are looking for a new way to enjoy zucchini, this creamy pasta dish is a must-try. Top it with crushed red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat and toasted Parmesan bread crumbs for crunch and texture. This dish will be in your summer menu rotation in no time!
- zucchini: fresh, shredded
- pasta: fettuccini, spaghetti, linguine, bucatini, or any other long pasta
- lemon: juiced and zested
- Parmesan cheese: grate it from a block, do not use stuff from the green bottle
- cream or half and half: necessary for the creamy sauce.
How to make creamy zucchini pasta?
- Start by shredding zucchini. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- In a large pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add zucchini and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and juice to the pan. Add cream and stir in. Bring to a simmer.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir in to melt.
- Add pasta and toss to coat.
- Serve pasta with crushed red pepper flakes and more Parmesan cheese.
How to prepare zucchini for a pasta dish?
As I am not a huge fan of zucchini noodles, I shredded zucchini and made it the star of the creamy sauce. If you are buying zucchini from the store, the skin can be waxy so I remove almost all of it. If you are using your home-grown zucchini from the garden, shred it with the skin. It will look beautiful! No need to squeeze the moisture out since it will evaporate during cooking and some will be the base for our sauce.
Absolutely! Cooked chicken (cook it in the pan first, then make the sauce), grilled chicken, and shredded chicken work great in this dish.
I recommend storing any leftovers of this pasta in a container with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days. To reheat, place it in a pan and add a splash of water or half and half. Stir until heated through. Pasta tends to soak up the sauce when it cools, so you need some liquid to bring back the creamy texture.
Yes, use yellow squash, pumpkin, mushrooms, spinach, or a mix to make this dish. It will be delicious!
More pasta recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- 1 large zucchini
- 10 oz fettuccini pasta
- 2 tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup heavy cream room temperature
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon for juice and zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Wash zucchini and remove skin, if desired. Grate it on the large hole side of the box grater. You should have 2 ½ to 3 cups of shredded zucchini. Set aside.1 large zucchini
- Cook fettuccini according to instructions on the box. I bring a big pot of water to a boil, salt it, then add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta.10 oz fettuccini pasta
- In a large pan, heat up oil. Add chopped onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.2 tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil, ½ yellow onion, 3 garlic cloves
- Add zucchini to pan and stir in. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the pan. Stir in. Simmer for 2 minutes.1 lemon
- Add cream to zucchini and stir in. Bring to a simmer.¾ cup heavy cream
- Add Parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir in to melt.½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add pasta water, a little bit at a time, until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Add more pasta water if needed.
- Remove dish from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and crushed red pepper flakes.¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- If you are buying zucchini from the store, the skin can be waxy so I remove almost all of it. If you are using your home-grown zucchini from the garden, shred it with the skin. It will look beautiful!
- I recommend storing any leftovers of this pasta in a container with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, place it in a pan and add a splash of water or half and half. Stir until heated through. Pasta tends to soak up the sauce when it cools, so you need some liquid to bring back the creamy texture.
- Fettuccini, spaghetti, linguine, bucatini, or any other long pasta works in this recipe.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.