Caramelized Onions Mashed Potatoes - jazz up the classic side dish by adding fragrant, sweet, caramelized onions to creamy mashed potatoes. The flavor is irresistible!
This dish is my comfort food lately: creamy mashed potatoes and sweet caramelized onions all in one side dish. Best combo ever! White onions, chopped fine, are sauteed with garlic in butter and olive oil combo. Once perfectly golden brown, sweet, fragrant and caramelized the onions are stirred into fluffy mashed potatoes. The onions add a whole new flavor to this classic side dish. It's irresistible!
These Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes are a perfect way to jazz up plain mashed potatoes. The addition of perfectly caramelized onions take the spuds to a whole new level. You have to try this recipe!
- Start by peeling and chopping your potatoes. Place in a pot, cover with cold water, salt it and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are soft. Drain and mash with sour cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, make caramelized onions: chop white onions and mince garlic. Heat up olive oil in a skillet, then add a tablespoon of unsalted butter. Melt. Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent, fragrant and some pieces are just starting to turn gold. Add another tablespoon of butter. Sautee onions until golden brown (see photo below for reference). Add soy sauce and brown sugar. Stir in. Remove onions from heat.
- Stir caramelized onions with mashed potatoes. Place in a serving dish. Garnish with chopped parsley, salt and pepper and serve.
Storing and reheating:
You can make the mashed potatoes and the onions a day ahead, then reheat and serve. You can reheat this dish in a skillet on the stove or place them in a casserole dish and reheat in the oven. Add milk or sour cream and butter as needed.
More side dish recipes:
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake
- Easy Mashed Cauliflower (also perfect with caramelized onions)
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Caramelized Onions Mashed Potatoes recipe
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup half and half or sour cream
- 1 medium white onion 1.5 cups chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Peel and chop potatoes. Place in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until soft. Drain well, add butter and sour cream (or half and half) and mash. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add one tablespoon of butter and let melt. Add minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute, stirring often until fragrant, translucent and some pieces are golden.
- Add second tablespoon of butter. Stir in, melting, and cook onions until golden brown and caramelized. Add brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir in. Remove from heat.
- Stir in caramelized onions with mashed potatoes. Serve right away or cool completely, cover with saran wrap and store in the fridge for the next day.