Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole - the best creamy mashed potatoes baked into a casserole with bacon! Great made ahead as well!
Let's take boring out of mashed potatoes and turn them into one delicious side dish casserole! I took my best creamy mashed potatoes, stirred in freshly grated cheddar cheese, garlic powder and fresh chopped parsley and baked the mixture in a casserole dish. Topped with crispy bacon and more parsley, this potato bake was gone in a flash! Looking at all of the potato recipes I shared on my blog, I think it's safe to say that these two ingredients happen to be my two toppings for potatoes that I always reach for.
- Russet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- half and half
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- garlic or garlic powder
- Start by cooking the potatoes until soft. Drain well and mash.
- Preheat the oven and butter a casserole dish.
- Add butter, half and half and sour cream to mashed potatoes and mix with hand mixer.
- Add cheese and spices and mix well.
- Spread the mixture in prepared dish, top with cheese and bake until golden. Garnish with crispy bacon and fresh chopped parsley. Serve.
More potato recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 lbs russet potatoes peeled, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup half and half
- ½ cup sour cream I used full-fat
- 1 and ¾ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 and ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon heaping, fresh chopped parsley
- 3 slices bacon cooked to crispy, chopped
- more parsley for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Cook until soft. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter, half and half and sour cream. Whip using hand mixer.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, garlic powder, pepper and parsley. Stir well.
- Transfer mixture into buttered 13" x 9" casserole dish. Spread evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake casserole for 35 to 38 minutes. The edges will be golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped bacon and parsley. Serve.