Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole – the best creamy mashed potatoes baked into a casserole with bacon! Great made ahead as well!
Let’s take boring out of mashed potatoes and turn them into one delicious side dish casserole! I took my best creamy mashed potatoes, stirred in freshly grated cheddar cheese, garlic powder and fresh chopped parsley and baked the mixture in a casserole dish. Topped with crispy bacon and more parsley, this potato bake was gone in a flash! Looking at all of the potato recipes I shared on my blog, I think it’s safe to say that these two ingredients happen to be my two toppings for potatoes that I always reach for.
- Russet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- half and half
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- garlic or garlic powder
- Start by cooking the potatoes until soft. Drain well and mash.
- Preheat the oven and butter a casserole dish.
- Add butter, half and half and sour cream to mashed potatoes and mix with hand mixer.
- Add cheese and spices and mix well.
- Spread the mixture in prepared dish, top with cheese and bake until golden. Garnish with crispy bacon and fresh chopped parsley. Serve.
More potato recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The best creamy mashed potatoes baked into a cheesy casserole with bacon! Perfect dish to make ahead of time.
- 4 lbs russet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream I used full-fat
- 1 and 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 and 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp heaping, fresh chopped parsley
- 3 slices bacon cooked to crispy, chopped
- more parsley for garnish
Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Cook until soft. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter, half and half and sour cream. Whip using hand mixer.
Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, garlic powder, pepper and parsley. Stir well.
Transfer mixture into buttered 13" x 9" casserole dish. Spread evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake casserole for 35 to 38 minutes. The edges will be golden brown.
Garnish with chopped bacon and parsley. Serve.
To make ahead of time: cover casserole dish with mashed potatoes mixture and store in fridge for up to 2 days. Top with shredded cheddar just before baking.