Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes – the best use for your leftover mashed potatoes. Crispy cakes filled with cheese and ranch seasoning. Just 5 ingredients and 20 minutes is all you need to make them!
I wish I could just hand you a fork and a plate of these babies and tell you to dig in. You simply have to try them to know how fantastic they are! I love to make something so good and then give my Hubby or the kids a piece to try and see their reaction. The look a person has on their face when their taste buds are feasting on delicious food – priceless.
You may remember the slow cooker creamy mashed potatoes I just shared here. I ended up having some leftover and realized that mashed potatoes are the most often leftover Thanksgiving dish in our family. Sweet potato casserole is pretty much like a dessert but we call it a side dish, stuffing disappears along with the turkey, cranberry sauce I could eat by itself (LOVE it!) but mashed potatoes get the least love.
HOW TO MAKE LEFTOVER MASHED POTATO CAKES?
What is one to do when left with a bowl full of mashed potatoes? Add just a few staple ingredients, mix it all together, form into cakes and fry it up! Serve to everyone’s delight! These cakes are fantastic on their own, dipped in Ranch dressing (I have been obsessed with it!), served with mushroom sauce or just a dollop of sour cream.
For an after-Thanksgiving lunch or dinner, I suggest these potato cakes topped with leftover turkey meat and a drizzle of cranberry sauce. Best idea ever!!
MORE POTATO RECIPES:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
- 1.75 cup leftover mashed potatoes cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour + 3 Tablespoons for coating
- 1 Tablespoon dry Ranch seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together mashed potatoes, egg, Ranch seasoning mix, salt and pepper.
- Add flour and cheddar and stir until all flour is incorporated.
- Using a regular size ice cream scoop, form 8 balls of dough. Roll each one in additional flour, gently flattening into about 3/4" thick patties.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Fry each cake on one side for about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove onto a cooling rack or paper towel lined plate.
- Cool slightly and serve.