Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe - juicy turkey breast cooked in pressure cooker in just 35 minutes! The best way to save time preparing Thanksgiving dinner.
When I said, that the Instant Pot digital pressure cooker can change your life, I meant it. It's been saving me time in the kitchen since I got it. But this Instant Pot Turkey Breast is a game-changer on a whole new level. I can cook a whole bone-in skin-on turkey breast in my pressure cooker in ⅓ of the time I would take me to roast it in the oven. I can bake side dishes in the oven in the meantime.
INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST
The turkey comes out juicy and flavorful, the pan drippings are perfect to make the gravy and if the crispy skin is your favorite part, place the turkey breast under the broiler for a few minutes. I also have a recipe for a boneless turkey breast that cooks from frozen to juicy!
HOW TO COOK TURKEY BREAST IN INSTANT POT?
You won't believe how easy it is to cook a turkey breast in the digital pressure cooker. I still can't!
- Add two cups of broth or stock to the bottom of the Instant Pot insert. Add sliced onion, garlic and celery.
- Set the turkey breast side up in the trivet ( it came with your pressure cooker ) and brush it with herbed and spiced olive oil. It's a simple mixture of oil, paprika, salt, pepper and poultry herb mix ( thyme, rosemary and sage ).
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, set valve to sealing position. Press "manual" and set it the timer.
- When the IP is done, let the pressure release naturally. It will keep the turkey moist. Once the pressure pin is down, carefully open the lid away from your face. Check the temperature of the turkey in it's thickest part, not touching the bone. It should be at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove turkey from Instant Pot and broil for a crispy skin, if desired. For a low fat option, remove the skin and slice the meat.
- Make gravy with liquid remaining in the Instant Pot.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK TURKEY BREAST IN INSTANT POT?
My turkey breast weighs about 7 lbs and the 35 minutes was perfect. You should check the turkey with a digital thermometer once done to make sure the temperature is at minimum 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast. This size of the turkey breast also fit perfectly in my 6 qt Instant Pot. After the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally. It will keep the turkey juicy. If you do a quick pressure release, all of the juices will escape the meat. Set turkey on cutting board and let cool. Remove skin and slice the meat.
If the crispy skin is your favorite part of the Thanksgiving bird, place the cooked turkey breast on a baking pan or dish and set under the broiler for a few minutes. I set my broiler to 440 degrees F and watched the turkey the whole time.
HOW TO MAKE TURKEY GRAVY IN INSTANT POT?
To make the gravy, drain the pan drippings through a sieve to catch the onions and garlic. You can also press them through it to get all the flavor into the gravy. Measure out two cups of the liquid and place back in the Instant Pot insert. Add a mixture of 2 tablespoons or cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and whisk well. Saute until thickens. You can use the rest of the liquid from cooking the turkey for soups later. I simply place it in ziploc bag once it completely cools. It's a very flavorful broth and perfect for making soups during winter.
SIDE DISHES TO SERVE WITH TURKEY BREAST:
- mashed potatoes: If you are lucky and have two Instant Pots, I highly recommend making my IP Mashed Potatoes as a side dish. It's the only way I cook them now. Perfect every time!
- roasted Brussels sprouts: my Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts are perfect for Thanksgiving! Even the kids will love them.
- carrots: my Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots are a family favorite here. So easy and so delicious!
- green beans: my classic Green Bean Casserole made entirely from scratch yet still super easy and accidentally gluten free ( completely if you use GF fried onions ) is a must for a family holiday dinner.
- hashbrowns: this Hashbrown Casserole makes for a perfect side dish in place of mashed potatoes. It's cheesy and creamy and everyone loves it!
- stuffing: my Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing is another time and work saver in the kitchen during the holidays. It's perfect for this Instant Pot Turkey Breast!
HOW TO USE LEFTOVER TURKEY?
After cooking up the big feast, you won't feel like spending much time in the kitchen on the following days. Save the turkey meat, dice it and use in my One Pot Turkey Tetrazzini recipe. It's perfect to use the leftover turkey meat!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup - use turkey in place of chicken for a perfect soul-comforting soup.
To see how to cook BONELESS turkey breast (from frozen) in the pressure cooker, check out my new recipe and video for Instant Pot Boneless Turkey Breast with Gravy.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES:
Instant Pot Spaghetti (fail-proof and no burn!)
If you want to learn more about the Instant Pot, check out my Guide for Beginners! Also, if you experienced the "burn" message, check out my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn how to fix it and prevent it in the first place.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST RECIPE
Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
- 7 lb bone-in skin-on turkey breast
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon chopped poultry fresh herb mix rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion chopped into large slices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- Add chicken broth to Instant Pot insert. Place trivet inside. Arrange onions, garlic and celery.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix oil, paprika, herb mix, salt and pepper.
- Wash the turkey breast, remove gravy pocket. Wash and pat dry. Brush turkey breast with olive oil mixture. Place in the trivet, breast side up.
- Place lid on Instant Pot. Set valve the sealing. Press "manual", set timer to 35 minutes High Pressure.
- When the IP beeps, press "cancel/off" and let the pressure release naturally. It will keep the turkey juicy.
- When pressure is released, open lid carefully, away from your face.
- Using large fork, remove turkey from pressure cooker. Set on a cutting board, serving platter or if desired on a baking pan, to crisp up the skin in the oven. To do so: place cooked turkey breast in the oven under broiler set to 440 degrees F. Broil until skin is golden and crispy, watching the turkey the whole time. You may have to rotate the pan during broiling.
- To make the gravy, drain the pan drippings through a sieve to catch the onions and garlic. You can also press them through it to get all the flavor into the gravy. Measure out two cups of the liquid and place back in the Instant Pot insert. Add a mixture of 2 tablespoons or cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and whisk well. Saute until thickens.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you use my link and make a purchase on Amazon, I will make a small commission, without any extra cost to you.