Instant Pot Chicken Marsala – juicy chicken cutlets cooked in mushroom and Marsala wine sauce. This flavorful dish comes together in your pressure cooker in less than 30 minutes!
INSTANT POT CHICKEN MARSALA
If you never had Chicken Marsala in your life, you are missing out. This easy dish is packed with flavor! Skillet-seared chicken is simmered in mushrooms, garlic and wine sauce that is like nothing else. Now, I can make it easily in my Instant Pot and the flavor is even more intense. You can use chicken breast, boneless thighs or bone-in skin-on chicken thighs to make this. I think even pork cutlets will work!
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Ingredients:
- chicken breasts
- Marsala wine
- chicken stock
- salt and pepper
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Marsala?
This dish is very simple to make. You need to brown the chicken first, then make the sauce base and pressure cook everything together. The last step is to thicken the sauce and serve this delicious dish!
Brown the Chicken Cutlets
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into two cutlets, season with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Brown in olive oil, right in your Instant Pot. Remove onto a plate.
- Add garlic, onion and mushrooms to your Instant Pot and saute until fragrant.
Make the Marsala Sauce:
- Add chicken stock and Marsala wine to the veggies in your pressure cooker.
- Close the lid, set valve to sealing and set the timer to 7 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is done, remove chicken cutlets onto a plate and thicken the sauce by adding cornstarch mixed with water.
Can I use chicken thighs to make this dish?
Yes! You can use boneless chicken thighs and keep the cooking time the same or use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and increase the time to 12 minutes.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Marsala?
This dish can be served over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes. We enjoyed it with my Easy Oven-Roasted Potatoes and it was fantastic!
Marsala Wine Substitutes:
Marsala wine has a distinct flavor and I highly recommend using it in this dish. You can find it next to cooking wines and vinegar in your grocery store. Some cooks recommend the following substitutes:
- dry sherry
- grape juice with a little bit of brandy
- dry white wine with brandy
More Easy Instant Pot Chicken Dinner Recipes:
For more pressure cooker recipes, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Incredibly juicy chicken cutlets cooked in mushroom and Marsala wine sauce. This flavorful dish comes together in your pressure cooker in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. white or baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Make sure that your stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Press "saute" setting and wait 2 minutes.
- Add oil and butter to your Instant Pot and let it melt.
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise, to make two cutlets. Season with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Brown each chicken cutlet on each side. Remove onto a plate.
- Add more butter to the Instant Pot. Add garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Press "cancel/off" button. Add chicken stock and wine to vegetables. Stir well.
- Place chicken in the sauce. Close the lid, set valve to "sealing" positions (the newer IP models do it on their own).
- Make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure. Set timer to 7 minutes.
- The IP will beep and it will start coming to pressure. That can take about 5 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off" button and let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally.
- Once the pressure pin drops, carefully open the lid away from your face.
- Remove the chicken and set on a plate.
- Mix cornstarch with water and add to the sauce. Stir and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve chicken with sauce over mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, rice or noodles.
You can use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs to make this dish. Increase cooking time to 12 minutes.
For boneless chicken thighs, the cooking time stays the same.