These Instant Pot Green Beans are steamed to perfection and dressed up with garlic, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. This quick side dish is ready in minutes!
When you need a quick steamed veggie side dish, Instant Pot to the rescue! I can quickly cook a pound of fresh green beans until tender and serve with any dish or use in a casserole. You don’t even need a steam basket to make this dish. The Instant Pot trivet works too, with my simple trick.
- fresh green beans (at least 1 lb)
- garlic, Parmesan cheese, lemon
- salt and pepper
How to cook green beans in the Instant Pot?
- Add water to the Instant Pot insert.
- Wash and trim green beans.
- Arrange the beans in a steam basket or on a trivet lined with parchment paper.
- Close the lid, set pressure valve to “sealing” position.
- Press “manual” or “steam” button and set timer to 0 minutes.
- The IP will take a few minutes to build up the pressure.
- Once done, switch the valve to “venting” to release pressure.
- Remove beans from Instant Pot and serve.
Can I use the steam button?
Yep, you can use the steam setting on your Instant Pot. Just remember to set the timer to 0 minutes.
Can I make green beans without steam basket?
If you do not have the steam basket, you can still make this easy side dish. Place the trivet on a sheet of parchment paper and trace a circle slightly larger than the diameter of the trivet. This will ensure the beans won’t fall to the bottom. Place the parchment on the trivet and arrange beans on top. Easy!
To keep things simple, I drizzle cooked green beans with fresh lemon juice and a garnish of grated Parmesan cheese. You can also toss them with minced garlic or garlic powder.
Cooked green beans are best served right away. They will lose their crispness and wilt quite a bit once stored.
More side dish recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Side Dish category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Wash and trim green beans. Cut off any ends that are brown.
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot.
- Add water to the insert.
- Arrange the beans in a steam basket or on a trivet lined with parchment paper (see note).
- Close the lid and set pressure valve to "sealing" position. Newer models do it on their own.
- Press "manual" or "steam" button and set timer to 0 minutes.
- The IP will take a few minutes to build up the pressure. It took 7 minutes for me. This is the time the beans cook, hence the "0" minute cook time. The beans will be crisp-tender. If you like your beans softer (not mush), set the timer to 1 minute. This was actually a prefered texture with my family.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, press "cancel?off" button and switch the valve to "venting" to release pressure.
- Remove beans from Instant Pot, garnish with lemon juice, cheese and garlic, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- If you don't have the steam basket, you can use the trivet that came with your Instant Pot. Line it with a circle or parchment paper, just a little bit larger in diameter than the trivet. This will prevent the beans from falling to the bottom and cooking in water.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.