Braised Red Cabbage is a healthy German side dish made. This sweet and sour dish calls for only a handful of ingredients.
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare red cabbage. If I don’t turn it into a slaw, I braise for a sweet and sour side. I shredded my cabbage thin so it does not have to cook for an hour. If you want to make it more traditional way, chop it roughly and braise for 45 to 50 minutes.
- red cabbage
- Granny Smith apple
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
How to make Braised Red Cabbage?
- Start by heating up oil in a deep skillet. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add shredded cabbage and chopped apple and stir in.
- Add remaining ingredients and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook until the cabbage is softened to the desired texture, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add more water if needed. Stir once in a while.
How long does it keep?
Braised cabbage can be made up to 5 days ahead, stored in the fridge and reheated when needed. You may need to add a little bit of water when reheating.
How to store leftovers?
Any leftovers are best stored in a container with lid, in the fridge. I do not recommend freezing this dish.
What to serve with braised cabbage?
This easy side dish pairs very well with any roasted or fried meat, like Fried Chicken, Pork Chops or Pot Roast. It goes very well with more sides like potatoes, mashed cauliflower or rice.
More side dish recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Side Dish Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Braised Red Cabbage is a healthy German side dish made. This sweet and sour dish calls for only a handful of ingredients. Serve this cabbage with Pork Schnitzel or pork tenderloin and potatoes for a nutritious and hearty dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 Granny Smith apple sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a deep skillet, heat up olive oil.
Add chopped onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until translucent.
Add apple and cabbage and stir in. Add vinegar, sugar and water and stir in.
Cover the skillet and lower heat to medium-low. Cook cabbage, stirring once in a while and adding more water if needed.
Cook until soft, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- For deeper flavor, use balsamic vinegar.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.