Creamy Pea Salad made with green peas, cheddar, red onion and bacon tossed with light Ranch dressing. Great summer side dish for potlucks!
The under-rated green peas get a center stage in summer's favorite side dish! This Creamy Pea Salad is a great way to enjoy them, paired with cheese, bacon and creamy dressing. It's perfect served cold with BBQ meat, sandwiches or mixed with cooked pasta for a great lunch salad.
Creamy Pea Salad
This Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon is a crowd-pleaser and can be made a day ahead. If you are worried about the onion overwhelming the dish, simply store it separately and add just before serving. I used my favorite creamy dressing recipe from the BLT Pasta Salad. It's perfect!
- frozen green peas
- cooked ham or chopped bacon
- red onion
- cubed cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Ranch salad dressing
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley
How to make Creamy Pea Salad?
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- Mix together dressing ingredients.
- Toss everything together.
This recipe is very close to the old-fashioned pea salad, served for potlucks and get-togethers for generations. I skipped celery and used red onion instead of green. The dressing is made with mayo, sour cream and Ranch dressing. I skipped the vinegar and sugar.
Why are frozen peas better in this recipe?
The reason I used frozen, green peas in this salad, is the texture. I like it better than from canned peas. You can use what you prefer, of course. Just make sure to drain and rinse them well before tossing with the rest of the ingredients. There is no need to thaw the frozen peas ahead of time. Simply mix everything together and by the time you are ready to serve this salad, the peas will be thawed.
More salad recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Creamy Pea Salad
- 1 lb frozen green peas
- 4 oz. mild cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook bacon to crispy, cool and chop. Set aside.
- Cube cheddar, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine frozen peas (no need to thaw them), bacon, cubed cheddar and chopped onion. Toss gently.
- In a measuring cup, combine mayo, sour cream, Ranch dressing, vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix well. Pour dressing over salad. Toss gently to coat.
- Cover bowl with salad with saran wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.