Skillet Cornbread - a perfect addition to your chili or a hearty soup and made in just 30 minutes!
This cornbread is perfect served with the Best Instant Pot Chili or the 20-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Do you know what all the bowls of winter soups and chili need? A good piece of cornbread. A nice comforting piece of a quick bread made in a skillet. And it really is quick! Made in under 30 minutes and you don't need any special equipment. Baking bread to go with your dinner doesn't get easier than this!
Do you see how the edges of my cornbread are crispy and.... kinda rustic? That's because I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet just before pouring the batter in! It makes it that much better! And the inside? Oh, so fluffy and full of flavor. It has the perfect balance of flour and cornmeal to make a fluffy piece but one that will hold it's shape and not fall apart once you cut into it.
Serve this cornbread with Chicken Enchiladas and Black Beans and Rice for a delicious Mexican night dinner!
- all-purpose flour
- yellow cornmeal
- baking powder
- baking soda
How to make Skillet Cornbread?
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and pour the mixture into the skillet with butter.
- Bake until golden on top.
- Cool before slicing.
More easy bread recipes:
- Parmesan Skillet Bread
- Easy Garlic Bread
- Zucchini Cornbread Muffins
- Easy Skillet Pizza Rolls
- Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls
- Homemade Cornbread Mix
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¼ c vegetable or canola oil
- 1 c buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place 2 tablespoon of butter into your 10 or 11 inch skillet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
- In a small mixing bowl or a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- If your oven is ready, place the skillet inside for 2 minutes or until the butter is melted.
- Swirl the butter around the pan to coat it.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix!
- Pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (my magic number was 18 minutes).
- Cool in pan before serving. Cut in wedges.
Pam Thurow says
Your cornbread looks delicious, Anna! That's about the way I make it. Love it in a skillet. Sometimes I substitute sour cream for buttermilk, good!
Thank you so much, Pam! I need to try it with sour cream! Or Greek yogurt! Yum! xoxo
Emily @ Life on Food says
Homemade cornbread is so much better than the box stuff. This looks delicious. Longing to try that crispy edging.
It's the best part! 🙂 Thank you, Emily!
I want your beautiful skillet AND I want that bread in it! haha 🙂
Thanks, Kate! 🙂
Curry and Comfort says
I do love that skillet... such a pretty pan to cook anything. I also adore cornbread with soup, chili or even some plain butter. Hope your weather is warm... our weather is getting cold again.
It's going to be in the 60's today!! Yay! I am planning on enjoying every bit of it! Thanks, Ramona!
Danae @ Recipe Runner says
Beautiful cornbread! I love breads and cakes that are baked in a cast iron skillet. This is the perfect addition to a bowl of chili!
I use my skillet almost every day! Love it! Thanks, Danae!
Lily R says
Cornbread is probably one of my favorite things to make in my skillet! SO good with soup!
I know, right? 🙂 Thanks, Lily!
Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe says
I LOVE skillet cornbread! It always turns out so perfect!
Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says
Beautiful cornbread, Anna! I love the tip of melting plenty of butter into the skillet before pouring in the batter for a nice crispy-crunchy texture for the exterior while the inside is moist and fluffy. Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend! xo
Thank you, Stacy! You too!