Skillet Cornbread – a perfect addition to your chili or a hearty soup and made in just 30 minutes!
Do you know what all the bowls of winter soups and chili need? A good piece of cornbread. A nice comforting piece of a quick bread made in a skillet. And it really is quick! Made in under 30 minutes and you don’t need any special equipment. Baking bread to go with your dinner doesn’t get easier than this!
Do you see how the edges of my cornbread are crispy and…. kinda rustic? That’s because I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet just before pouring the batter in! It makes it that much better! And the inside? Oh, so fluffy and full of flavor. It has the perfect balance of flour and cornmeal to make a fluffy piece but one that will hold it’s shape and not fall apart once you cut into it.
Skillet Cornbread Ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- yellow cornmeal
- baking powder
- baking soda
How to make Skillet Cornbread?
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and pour the mixture into the skillet with butter.
- Bake until golden on top.
- Cool before slicing.
More Easy Bread Recipes:
- Parmesan Skillet Bread
- Easy Garlic Bread
- Zucchini Cornbread Muffins
- Easy Skillet Pizza Rolls
- Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls
- Homemade Cornbread Mix
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 c vegetable or canola oil
- 1 c buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place 2 tablespoon of butter into your 10 or 11 inch skillet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
- In a small mixing bowl or a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- If your oven is ready, place the skillet inside for 2 minutes or until the butter is melted.
- Swirl the butter around the pan to coat it.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix!
- Pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (my magic number was 18 minutes).
- Cool in pan before serving. Cut in wedges.
Recipe source: Crunchy Creamy Sweet blog.