Learn how to make Easy Chicken Enchiladas with a cheesy top! Flavorful, spicy and delicious, this dinner is perfect for busy weeknights. Also, learn my trick to preventing the corn tortillas from breaking.
Mexican food is currently at least twice on our menu each week. Even though Cinco de Mayo is behind us, there is always time for tacos, burritos and enchiladas. Like these! Made super easy and named The Best by my Hubby. Yay!
If you plan ahead, you can make the chicken and the sauce the day before and assemble enchiladas on the day you served them. They also freeze well and can be reheated for a great dinner on busy weekdays.
- shredded chicken or my Mexican chicken
- enchilada sauce (try my homemade version)
- corn tortillas
- pico de gallo
- Prepare the slow cooker Mexican chicken.
- Make Blender Enchilada Sauce.
- Heat up corn tortillas in the microwave (covered with a damp paper towel). Use ¼ cup of chicken filling per tortilla and arrange them in a baking dish.
- Pour enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle everything with cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve with pico de gallo.
Freezing and reheating
Yep, you can prepare the whole dish and freeze it for up to 6 months in a sealed container. When ready to serve, let the dish come to room temperature, then top with cheese and bake.
Yes, you can reheat enchiladas in the oven. If previously chilled in the fridge, set oven to 350 degrees and bake enchiladas for 15 to 20 minutes. If frozen, thaw out and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
How to prevent corn tortillas from breaking?
I've learned this trick from my Husband. To make corn tortillas more pliable, and prevent them from breaking when you roll them into enchiladas, place a stack of them on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 12 to 15 seconds. Fill with chicken, roll up and arrange in baking dish. It works every time!
Can I use flour tortillas for enchiladas?
A lot of people prefer corn tortillas for enchiladas while a lot of recipes use flour tortillas. We definitely like the corn ones better. The texture is awesome while the flour tortillas get soggy and gummy.
More Mexican recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 cups Mexican Chicken
- 1.5 cup cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1.25 cup enchilada sauce
- pico de gallo
- cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of this enchilada sauce on the bottom of 9" by 13" baking dish.
- Place tortillas on a large plate and cover with damp paper towel. Microwave for 12 seconds. If not warm, microwave for 10 more seconds.
- Using ¼ cup of chicken (from this recipe) and a tablespoon of cheese, fill each tortilla, fold and place seam down in the dish. Repeat with all tortillas.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas, spread gently with a spoon.
- Top tortillas with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve 2 tortillas per person, topped with pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes and red onion.