Homemade enchilada sauce made with just 7 ingredients is my new favorite diy recipe. I will never buy it in a can again!
Necessity is the mother of invention. Isn't that what they say? In my kitchen, a lot of diy recipes happen because I simply don't want to run to the store for just one thing. And then you do a happy dance because you just made the-bomb-dot-com sauce that is not only cheaper but took 5 minutes to whip up.
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- tomato sauce
- chicken stock
How to make Enchilada Sauce?
- Start by adding onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, ground cumin and salt to blender.
- Blend until smooth. The sauce should be thick.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How much sauce does this recipe make?
This recipe is really quick and easy. It makes 3 cups of sauce, which makes it way cheaper than buying the sauce in a can. Before I never had enough sauce from just one can. I like to dip the corn tortillas in a warmed up sauce to soften them and make them more roll-able. If you know what I mean. The rest of the sauce goes all over the enchiladas and is topped with cheese. Then all you need to do is bake them! So crazy good!
More Homemade Sauce Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. It will be thick. You can add more water or stock if you like thinner sauce.
- Place in a jar with lid and store for up to a week.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- Use this sauce to make these easy chicken enchiladas: https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/easy-chicken-enchiladas-recipe/