This easy Homemade enchilada sauce made with just 7 ingredients is my new favorite homemade recipe. It's made in a blender in seconds. You will never buy it in a can again!
Why This Method Works
Necessity is the mother of invention. Isn't that what they say? In my kitchen, a lot of homemade recipes happen because I simply don't want to run to the store for just one thing. And then you do a happy dance because you just made the best enchilada sauce that is not only cheaper but took 5 minutes to whip up.
Now, this sauce is simply a substitute for the store-bought kind. I'm sure a Mexican cook will tell me it needs dried ancho peppers, and dried chiles and would not have any tomatoes. This sauce is a simplified version with ingredients that I can easily find and usually have on hand.
- onion and garlic - These aromatics add flavor to the sauce. I prefer using fresh vegetables but in a pinch, garlic and onion powder work too.
- chili powder - Use the best quality you can get since this gives the sauce the flavor.
- ground cumin - This spice is the signature of many Mexican dishes. I would not skip it in this recipe.
- tomato sauce - This makes the base of the recipe.
- chicken stock - Thins out the sauce and adds more flavor.
How to make Enchilada Sauce?
- Start by adding onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, ground cumin and salt to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. The sauce should be thick.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How much sauce does this recipe make?
This recipe is really quick and easy. It makes 3 cups of sauce, which makes it way cheaper than buying the sauce in a can. Before I never had enough sauce from just one can. I like to dip the corn tortillas in a warmed-up sauce to soften them and make them more rollable. If you know what I mean. The rest of the sauce goes all over the enchiladas and is topped with cheese. Then all you need to do is bake them! So crazy good!
Yes! This sauce can be easily frozen in freezer-safe containers or jars. Just make sure to cool it completely before placing it in the freezer. It will be good for up to 3 months.
This recipe is a simplified version of a popular sauce. It's not 100% authentic. I used easy-to-find pantry ingredients so you can make it anytime!
More homemade sauce recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. It will be thick. You can add more water or stock if you like thinner sauce.
- Place in a jar with lid and store for up to a week.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- Use this sauce to make these easy chicken enchiladas: https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/easy-chicken-enchiladas-recipe/