This Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet is cheesy, packed with taco chicken and rice and topped with fresh vegetables. A quick and easy skillet dinner the whole family will love!
Today, I am finally sharing my go-to skillet dinner that is in our weekly rotation. It's quick and easy to make on a busy weeknight and so delicious, my whole family loves it! Taco chicken, rice, beans, corn, salsa, crushed tomatoes simmer together in a skillet, then topped with cheese, chopped onions and tomatoes. Served with chips, dollops of sour cream and salsa. This Mexican chicken and rice dinner is a family favorite.
- vegetable oil
- chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- black beans
- taco seasoning
- cooked rice
- crushed tomatoes
- whole kernel corn
- Mexican cheese blend
- toppings: red onion, tomatoes, green onions, sour cream
How to make Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet?
In a large, deep skillet cook chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until done.
Add taco seasoning, water and simmer. Add black beans, stir well. Add rice and stir in. Add crushed tomatoes, salsa and simmer until bubbly. Add corn and stir well.
Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let simmer for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with chopped onions and tomatoes. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.
Can I make it ahead of time?
I mentioned before that I tend to cook big batches of rice and freeze it in 2-cup portions in ziploc bags. It's perfect for this recipe! Just like for this Chicken Fried Rice or this summer version with zucchini. I love shortcuts like this, as it makes dinner time easier. You can also cook the chicken in taco seasoning (your favorite, store-bought mix or homemade) and refrigerate to use the next day for this dish. Enjoy!
More Mexican recipes:
- Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Salsa Rice with Zucchini and Corn
- Skillet Salsa and Cheddar Chicken
- Taco Seasoning
- Vegetable Quesadillas
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups cooked rice fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 ½ cups Mexican cheese blend or shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- sour cream for topping
- In a large, deep skillet, heat up oil over medium heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until done.
- Add taco seasoning, water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add black beans, stir well. Add rice and stir in. Add crushed tomatoes, salsa and simmer until bubbly. Add corn and stir well.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let simmer for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with chopped onions and tomatoes. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.