Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe – rich and flavorful beef and bean chili that’s made in a pressure cooker! Tastes as if it was simmering on your stove all day.
INSTANT POT CHILI
I have finally perfected my recipe for beef chili that cooks in my Instant Pot. It’s time to share it here, on my blog, because you have to make it asap! It’s rich and so flavorful! Thanks to my secret ingredient, it tastes as if it was simmering on the stove all day, but in fact it takes only 20 minutes to make, start to finish.
This Best Instant Pot Chili is perfect enjoyed on a chilly winter day, when a big bowl of comfort food is all you are craving. It is the best way to take advantage of the Instant Pot and make rich and delicious beef chili in just 20 minutes. Serve it topped generously with shredded cheese (cheddar or even Pepper Jack), sour cream and chopped parsley or green onions. Add a handful of Frito chips and enjoy!
How to make Instant Pot Beef Chili?
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, add olive oil and gently swirl around to coat the bottom of the insert. Add onions, garlic, pepper and carrots. Cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add all of the liquid ingredients, beans and spices. Stir well. Place lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing, press “manual” and set timer to 10 minutes.
- After the timer is done, press “cancel/off” and do a quick pressure release. Open the lid carefully, away from you. Stir the chili.
Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
Yes! You can use ground turkey, chicken or even bison for a leaner option. Feel free to skip the meat and make it vegetarian.
Can I use frozen beef to make Instant Pot chili?
Absolutely! If you have frozen beef and no time to thaw it, place it on a trivet in your Instant Pot and add 1.5 cups of water to the insert. Close the lid, set the valve to sealing position, press Manual setting and set timer to 25 minutes. Once done, switch the valve to the venting position. Carefully open the lid and remove the meat from the Instant Pot. Remove the trivet, drain the liquid and proceed with the recipe for chili.
How to make flavorful Instant Pot chili?
Looking at the ingredient list, you may notice two ingredients that are not typical in chili recipes. It’s soy sauce and Marsala wine. They are my two secret ingredients, one more than the other. I almost always add soy sauce to ground meat as it adds rich, meaty flavor to the dish. Always use low-sodium soy sauce. Marsala wine is my true secret ingredient. I absolutely love the rich, deep flavor and it is absolutely perfect for this hearty chili.
Can I freeze this chili?
Yes! Make sure the chili is completely cooled before freezing. Place in freezer-safe Ziploc bags or containers and freeze for up to 6 months. To thaw, place in the fridge and let it defrost overnight. You can also place the frozen chili in your Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water to the insert and cook for 25 minutes.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Soup Recipes Roundup (all in one place)
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
To learn more about the Instant Pot, check out my Guide for Beginners.
Rich and flavorful beef and bean chili that's made in a pressure cooker! Tastes as if it was simmering on the stove all day but takes only 20 minutes to make!
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 can red chili beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup marsala wine see note
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Press "saute" on your Instant Pot. Add olive oil to the insert and swirl gently to coat the bottom.
- Add garlic, onion, pepper and carrots. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir often.
- If needed, drain grease.
- Press "off/cancel".
- Add beans, soy sauce, water, Marsala wine, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add chili pepper, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Cover pot with lid, set valve to "sealing". Press "manual", set timer to 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will start by itself.
- When done, the Instant Pot will beep a few times. Press "off/cancel". Switch the valve ( very carefully) to do a quick pressure release.
- Open lid carefully, away from your face. Stir chili. It will thicken a bit.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro or parsley, tortilla chips or slices of avocado.
This chili is even better the next day. Cool completely after cooking, place in a large pot with lid and refrigerate until ready. Let sit in room temperature for 15 minutes, then reheat.
The Marsala wine is optional but highly recommended. It is a cooking wine, often found in the vinegar and oil section in your grocery store. It gives the chili rich and deep flavor as if it was simmering on the stove all day. If you can't use Marsala wine, replace with water.