Zucchini Cornbread Muffins – fun and easy way to sneak in veggies into your diet! Our favorite cornbread muffin with the addition of zucchini is perfect this time of year!
Just like pumpkin in the fall, the zucchini recipes are taking over the internet! I see folks complaining about abundance and not enough ways to eat it.
I gave up growing anything in our garden two years ago, after the tomatoes were eaten by rabbits (which totally made them so not cool in my book, but my kids are still excited to see bunnies in our yard) and the peppers were devoured by squirrels. I hope they liked it. And no, I don’t feel bad if they had to run looking for a water source afterwards.
So that means that I am one of not too many people that don’t have zucchini overtaking their gardens. Nothing is overtaking my garden, actually. Besides weeds maybe, but that’s because I do not like yard work and simply choose to ignore them.
So, Zucchini Cornbread Muffins.
Since zucchini was on a huge sale at the store, I grabbed several trays and we have been eating it for the past two weeks. And since I am a baker, I knew that some of them would end up baked into something.
My cornbread muffins make an appearance on our dinner table so often, because they are super easy (so easy in fact, that my kiddos make them!) and delicious! I added one big grated zucchini into the batter and we had one of the moistest muffins ever!
Note: Since I used store bought zucchini, I peeled the skin off. If you are using your own grown veggie, feel free to leave some on for the streaks of green in the muffins.
Hope you will enjoy them as much as we did!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal I used Hodgson Mill Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- Peel the zucchini.
- Set a colander over a bowl and grate the zucchini into the colander.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the zucchini. Set aside. (this will release the water from the veggie).
- Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt).
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil and egg).
- With a back of a spoon, squeeze as much water out of the zucchini as possible.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the grated zucchini.
- Stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix! The batter should be lumpy.
- Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop into your prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are golden and the toothpick inserted in each muffin comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀