This Chickpea Salad with garlic Parmesan vinaigrette is a light and fresh salad with garbanzo beans, lettuce, tomatoes, corn and onion. Perfect quick and easy lunch or a side dish to a light meal!
I have been on a salad craze lately. I am obsessed with this BLT Pasta Salad and my Black Bean Taco Salad. Now this Easy Chickpea Salad joins the club.
Chickpeas are my favorite to use in salads, right next to black beans. I keep them for soups and chilis. But chickpeas are welcome in my salad bowl for another reason: my kiddos love them! They do not have a strong bean-y flavor, they look different and fun and are not as mushy as other beans. They are high in fiber and protein. The simple vinaigrette features my favorite savory flavor combo: garlic and Parmesan. I use it in rolls, roasted baby carrots and corn on the cob. It's my favorite and now I can enjoy it in a salad dressing form.
- chickpeas: also called garbanzo beans; canned, drained and rinsed
- lettuce: I used Romaine but iceberg works just fine too
- corn: fresh, canned or frozen (thawed)
- tomatoes: I used Roma but cherry tomatoes work too
- onion: I really enjoy red onion in salads so that's what I used; feel free to skip it if you don't like it
- olive oil: I recommend extra virgin
- lemon juice: for brightness
- seasoning: salt, pepper, oregano
- garlic: fresh, minced but garlic powder works too
- Parmesan: freshly grated
How to make chickpea salad?
- In a small jar, combine all vinaigrette ingredients. Shake well.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Place all veggies in a bowl.
- Pour in dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve right away.
- When draining the chickpeas, reserve the liquid. It is called aquafaba and can be used in place of egg whites in desserts!
- If you love roasted chickpeas, feel free to use them in this salad. They will give it a nice crunch, just like croutons!
More easy salad recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Salad Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- 15.5 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes I used Roma
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- ½ cup chopped red onion
for the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, toss together chopped lettuce, tomatoes, corn and red onion.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together oil, lemon juice, spices and garlic. If desired, you can add Parmesan to the dressing. I prefer to sprinkle it over the salad just before serving.
- If serving salad later, keep dressing separate and toss with salad just before serving.
- When draining the chickpeas, reserve the liquid. It is called aquafaba and can be used in place of egg whites in desserts. Google and find a way to use it!
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
This post was originally posted on July 17th, 2017 and updated on June 15th, 2020.
I always forget how easy and delicious it would be to add chickpeas to our salads!
I love chickpeas! With the corn and tomato, this is the perfect summer salad!
I just love chickpeas! 🙂 Think I just may be whipping up this salad for lunch today.
This is such a yummy salad, love the variety of textures!
Summer is the perfect time to be on a salad kick. It's perfect!