This Carrot Salad is made with fresh carrots, raisins, green onions and tossed with simple vinaigrette sweetened with honey. It's a beautiful and colorful salad for Spring and Summer dinners!
I like to serve this salad for Easter, Mother's Day or BBQ dinners during summer. It's wonderful with grilled chicken!
If you happen to have an abundance of carrots, I have just the recipe for you! A fresh carrot salad with green onions and raisins for sweetness. A beautiful and healthy dish that will complement sandwiches, grilled meat, etc.
The old-fashioned carrot salad version is creamy thanks to mayonnaise. I went the French route and tossed it with a very simple vinaigrette made with oil, lemon juice and honey. I'll keep the mayo for potato salads!
- carrots: get the best you can for the best flavor
- onions: I used green but red works great too!
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
How to cut carrots for salad?
There are two kitchen tools that will help you quickly prep the carrots for this salad. You can use a classic box grater and shred the vegetables on the large hole side OR use a julienne peeler. I use the peeler because I prefer the texture of julienned carrots.
How to make Carrot Salad?
- Start by chopping green onions and cutting carrots (shred or julienne).
- Place vegetables and raisins in a bowl.
- Mix oil, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Pour over salad. Toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!
How long does it last?
If you want to make it ahead of time, I suggest preparing this carrot salad the night before. It will last 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
If you are serving it with red onion, hold off on adding it and do it just before serving. This way it will not overwhelm the salad.
- creamy: a classic carrot salad will have mayo instead of the vinaigrette
- with nuts: add walnuts, pecans, almonds for more crunch
- Moroccan: skip the green onions and raisins and add celery, garlic and spices (harissa, cumin, coriander, paprika)
More salad recipes:
- Best Tuna Salad
- Roasted Beets Salad
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Chickpea Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Salad category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
- 5 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, chop green onions and cut carrots (shred or julienne).5 cups shredded carrots, ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Place vegetables and raisins in a mixing bowl.½ cup raisins
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and honey and whisk until combined. Pour over salad. Toss to coat.¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!salt and pepper
- You can use a classic box grater and shred the vegetables on the large hole side OR use a julienne peeler.
- If you want to make it ahead of time, I suggest preparing this carrot salad the night before. It will last 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.