Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Cake - soft and moist pumpkin cake with snickerdoodle topping: cinnamon sugar! The addition of nuts makes it even better!
If you are obsessed with pumpkin desserts and can't get enough - I have another one for you! Because we all need more pumpkin cake in our lives, right? 🙂
Enter Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Cake.
It's my favorite cake but topped with a snickerdoodle coating: cinnamon sugar! I go through phases with cinnamon sugar when I want to put it on everything. Muffins, toasts, oatmeal, coffee, whatever I can get my hands on.
There are also walnuts! Chopped walnuts sprinkled over the cinnamon sugar topping. So good! You can use pecans or a mix. Whatever you have on hand. Or completely skip them if your diet requires it. The cake is the star here and I think you guys will love it! This dessert is perfect for a weekend afternoon or a get-together with friends. It's great enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee (or wine!!) while chatting about a trip to pumpkin patch with kids, or simply catching up. I served it for our last Sunday Morning for 2 time (you can follow our series on INSTAGRAM!) and it was a fantastic morning treat.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Cake
!for the cake:
- 2.25 c all-purpose flour
- 1.25 teaspoon powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
!for the topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 and ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
!to make the topping:
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
!to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 13" x 9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Whisk for about a minute (I use a whisk but you can use a hand-held mixer).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan against your counter to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over the surface of the cake batter. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the cake for 32 to 35 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places near the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and slice.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Muffins
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
Sasha Valene says
Thanks for the recipe! I used it as a base to make a pumpkin banana cake. I substituted two mashed bananas for the eggs and instead of buttermilk I used the same amount of almond milk with apple cider vinegar, flax and chia. I used only one cup of sugar (dark brown) and a combination of whole wheat, spelt and almond flour. I used a bit more baking powder due to omission of the eggs and added a touch of orange zest for a bright zing.
Hi Sasha! Thank you for trying the recipe and sharing your substitutions! It's super helpful!
Cathy Trochelman says
This cake looks delicious! I love the snickerdoodle twist and would LOVE it with a cup of coffee. (For breakfast??) 🙂
This looks like an absolutely perfect fall cake! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
YES I'm obsessed with pumpkin desserts, and I'm going to add this to my must-make list. Looks delicious!
Snickerdoodles are my favorite and I love the idea of pairing that flavor with pumpkin!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Set me up with some coffee and this cake, and I'll be a happy camper! Love the cake, and especially love the topping (yum - snickerdoodles)! Nice!
Snickerdoodle is the best flavor!! This cake looks amazing!
Amy Stafford says
I can almost taste all that awesome cinnamon flavor.
Snickerdoodle + pumpkin = brilliant mash-up of a cake. I applaud you!
Snickerdoodle all the things! Love this gorgeous fall cake. Pinned.
This cake sounds amazing! Cinnamon sugar is one of the best combinations out there- it is good on everything!
There's never enough pumpkin cake!!! This one looks gorgeous and delicious!