The Best Apple Crumb Cake – the apple crumb cake of your dreams, with tons of apples and the best crumb topping ever!
APPLE CRUMB CAKE
What is the best part of a crumb cake? Crumb topping! So often you have a crumb cake and just wish there was less cake in it and more (much, much more!) of the crumb topping.I set out to make it all happen! My goal: make a crumb cake with good amount of cake but the best amount of crumb topping. The BEST crumb cake in the world!
It took me three tries to get this cake just like I wanted. And it is glorious! You can actually taste the apples and the cake doesn’t overwhelm. Before arranging the apple slices over the batter, I toss them gently in sugar, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. It helps them cook perfectly between the layers of the cake and the topping. Next, layer the apple slices over the cake batter. Sprinkle crumb topping on top and bake!
How to make Apple Crumb Cake?
- Start by making the crumb topping. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir with a fork until it resembles crumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare the apple layer, by slicing apples and tossing them with lemon juice (to prevent browning) and spices.
- Make the cake batter and pour into a cake pan. Arrange apple slices on top of cake batter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over apple layer.
- Bake cake until the topping is golden brown.
How to make the best crumb topping?
If you look at my recipe, you will notice that I use melted butter in making my crumb topping. It may sound strange since most recipes for desserts with crumb topping call for very cold butter that gets cut into the flour-sugar mixture. In that case, if your butter is not perfectly cold, it can melt the whole topping over your cake or muffins. Using melted butter prevents this possibility. This recipe if foolproof! I always make crumb topping with melted butter, in bars or muffins, and it always works. The crumb topping here is really shining!
Tools you need to make this crumb cake:
- 2 mixing bowls
- springform cake pan
Tips for making the best apple crumb cake:
- use granny smith or gala apples
- make sure the melted butter is cooled completely before mixing with topping ingredients
- if the topping is browning too fast, cover it loosely with aluminum foil
- cool cake completely before slicing into perfect triangles
- serve with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream
More Recipes for Desserts with Apples:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
BEST APPLE CRUMB CAKE RECIPE:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 medium apples washed, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Grease and flour an 8" round springform pan. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures creates crumbs. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
In a medium bowl, toss together apple slices with two tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
Arrange apple slices over the batter.
Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Let cool completely in the pan.
Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.
I highly recommend drizzling caramel sauce over each slice just before serving. It makes it that much more amazing. Try my Microwave Caramel Sauce - it's the easiest and the best caramel sauce ever! You can make it while the cake cools! You can also top it with a scoop of delicious sweet vanilla ice cream.