Pumpkin Coffee Cake is the best pumpkin cake! The cake is tender and moist and the crumb topping is sweet and crunchy thanks to crushed graham crackers!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
After last year's super successful and loved apple crumb cake, I had to create the pumpkin version this year. It's all you want in a pumpkin cake: the moist, tender crumb, perfect balance of spices and a crumb topping you could eat on its own. This cake has it all. And may I just add - it goes perfectly with a tall late or cappuccino OR a glass of red wine. You will love the crumb topping. I added crushed graham crackers for more texture and it is the best cake topping ever!
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- graham cracker crumbs
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- pumpkin pie spice
- 100% pumpkin puree
- vegetable oil
How to make Pumpkin Coffee Cake?
The success of this cake comes from two secret ingredients: my homemade pumpkin pie spice AND graham cracker crumb topping. Yes, I am using crushed graham crackers in the crumb topping which makes it irresistible and crazy delicious.
- Make the crumb topping: whisk all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add melted (cooled) butter and stir with a fork. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Make the cake: whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and whisk everything together until the batter is smooth.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a 13" x 9" cake pan, top with the crumb topping and bake for up to 35 minutes.
If you have a cake stand with a top or lid, it will keep the cake fresh and moist longer.
Once completely cooled, you can freeze the baked cake (whole or individual pieces) in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. It should last up to 4 months.
More pumpkin recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
!for the crumb topping:
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs I used plain honey graham crackers
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter melted, cooled to room temperature (not hot!)
!for the cake:
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
!to make the crumb topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs. Add cooled, melted butter and stir with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
!to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a 13" x 9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Whisk for about a minute (I use a whisk but you can use a hand-held mixer).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan against your counter to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping all over the surface of the cake batter, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the cake for 32 to 35 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places near the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and slice.
- You can half the recipe for an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.