One Bowl Vanilla Cake - incredibly fluffy and moist cake with the best easy vanilla frosting! All you need is one bowl and a whisk to make it! Even kids can make it!
Why You'll Love This Cake
Fluffy and moist cake with delicious vanilla flavor, topped with the best and easiest fluffy vanilla frosting makes for an easy dessert you can make in under 30 minutes. It is the best vanilla cake you will ever make!
You can add other flavorings to make other variations, use gluten-free flour or even make it dairy-free with almond milk. This cake could not be easier to make. You only need one mixing bowl and a whisk to make the batter. It's a must-try dessert for every home baker!
How to make one-bowl vanilla cake?
- Star by gathering ingredients. Make sure the egg is at room temperature. If you don't have buttermilk, you can easily make it by mixing apple cider vinegar with half and half or whole milk.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (except water) and whisk. Add water and whisk it in. Pour batter into the prepared 8" square or round pan.
- Bake cake in a preheated oven until golden on top, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
One-Bowl Cake variations:
- lemon cake: add lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice (plus enough water to make ½ cup of liquid)
- berry summer cake: add lemon zest and blueberries or raspberries
- gluten-free cake: use gluten-free flour that can be used in 1:1 ratio
- dairy-free: use almond milk in place of half and half to make buttermilk
- zucchini cake: add shredded zucchini (squeeze out as much liquid out of it as you can before using) and frost with chocolate frosting
- funfetti cake: add sprinkles into the batter and on top of frosting.
The vanilla frosting:
I made my go-to vanilla frosting recipe by creaming butter and powdered sugar, then adding vanilla and a splash of heavy cream. It's fluffy and just perfect with this cake!
Yes! Pour batter into a cupcake pan and bake for 18 minutes, until golden on top. Cool completely before frosting.
You can add fruit to the batter, but I recommend dropping it into the batter while it's already in the pan. You can also add funfetti or other sprinkles.
More Easy Cake Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
One-Bowl Vanilla Cake recipe
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk see note
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and flour or line with parchment paper, an 8" square or round pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add egg, buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Whisk together. Add hot water and whisk well until the batter is smooth. It will be runny but that's okay.1 large egg, ½ cup vegetable oil, ½ cup buttermilk, ½ cup hot water, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan gently against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake cake for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
- To make frosting: place butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat for 7 minutes. Add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time and beat in well. Add heavy cream and beat in for 1 minute. Add vanilla and mix in. The frosting should be very fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Decorate with sprinkles.½ cup unsalted butter, 1 ½ cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- To make homemade buttermilk: mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with enough half-and-half to make ½ cup of liquid. Let stand for 3 to 4 minutes. When the mixture looks thick and curdled, use it in the recipe.
- Use good quality vanilla as that is the primary flavor in this cake.
- For the best frosting: make sure the butter is soft. Otherwise, the frosting won't be fluffy.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.