This is the Best Vanilla Frosting Recipe you will ever make! It's ultra fluffy and perfect for spreading on cakes or piping out on cupcakes.
This frosting is perfect on my One-Bowl Vanilla Cake or my Perfect Sugar Cookies, topped with sprinkles.
Homemade vanilla buttercream frosting is crazy easy to make and you only need 2 basic ingredients: butter and sugar. Add vanilla and a splash of heavy cream for the irresistible rich flavor. This Fluffy Vanilla Frosting starts with butter creamed for 7 minutes, for the best result. You can make different variations by adding flavors with spices, instant coffee or caramel sauce. This frosting is perfect for cakes, cupcakes and cookies.
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
- Start by beating room-temperature butter for 7 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, a little bit at a time, and beat until frosting is fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and heavy cream and beat for 1 minute.
- best vanilla: use vanilla beans for the best flavor
- citrus frosting: add zest and citrus extract
- spiced buttercream: add cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- mocha frosting: add instant coffee granules
- caramel frosting: stir in caramel sauce
- peanut butter frosting: use half of the amount of butter and substitute the rest with peanut butter
More dessert recipes:
For more delicious sweet treat recipes, feel free to browse our Dessert Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Best Vanilla Frosting recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter soft
- 1.75 - 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Place soft butter in mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer for 7 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time and mix in well.
- Add vanilla and heavy cream and whip for 1 to 2 minutes.
- The frosting should be fluffy and airy.
- Store frosting in fridge until ready to use or spread on cake or cupcakes right away.
Is the recipe for a single or double layer cake?
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I love that it was so easy to make!! My new favorite frosting recipe!
Oh wow, this looks SO good!! A must try!!
Rachael Yerkes says
This really is the best!
Tanya Schroeder says
The PERFECT frosting!
Kelly D says
I love how fluffy the frosting is. This will be great with the chocolate cupcakes we are planning to make.