Easy Chocolate Pumpkin Cake - quick and easy pumpkin-spiced chocolate cake with two-ingredient chocolate ganache topping. No mixer needed!
Pumpkin desserts fans will enjoy this cake, as much as the Pumpkin Coffee Cake or the Pumpkin Pie Bars.
Pumpkin spice and chocolate make for a delicious combo in fall desserts and this cake is the proof. The two-ingredient ganache is the perfect topping for this cake. For this cake, I used my pumpkin coffee cake recipe but made it into a chocolate version by adding cocoa powder and chocolate chips. This cake is quick and easy to make and doesn't require the use of a mixer. Just whisk everything together in a bowl and bake. This cake is soft, fluffy and moist. I always prefer ganache over sugar and butter frosting. It's silky and delicious. It really complements the cake well.
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- pumpkin spice
- vanilla extract
- large egg
- vegetable oil
- buttermilk (see below for homemade version)
- chocolate chips
- heavy cream
- Simply whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir wet ingredients in a large measuring cup and add to the dry mix.
- Whisk the batter until smooth and pour into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- The chocolate ganache is made of chocolate chips and heated up heavy cream.
Storing and freezing:
Any leftover cake should be stored in a closed container to prevent drying. I like to store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can easily freeze this cake. Bake the cake and cool completely. Wrap tightly in a saran wrap and place in a large freezer bag. Do not frost before freezing. You can make the ganache topping before serving. To thaw, place the frozen cake in the fridge or set on the counter.
More pumpkin recipes:
- The Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Lush Dessert
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk see note
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips see note
to make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 8" square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice. Stir in chocolate chips.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together pumpkin puree, vanilla, egg, oil and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap gently against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 28 to 32 minutes or until the top of cake is dry and the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan.
To make ganache:
- Heat up cream in measuring cup, in microwave. Do not boil.
- Place chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl. Pour cream over chips. Let stand for a few minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Cool slightly, then pour over cake. Spread evenly. Cool completely. The ganache will set.
- Serving is one piece per person.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand, simply mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with ⅓ cup plus 1 teaspoon of half and half or whole milk. Let sit to sour, then use in the recipe.
- I recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips for the ganache as the flavor will complement the cake better than milk chocolate chips.
Anything with ganache is perfection in my book!
I agree! 😀
That cake is calling my name -- love it!
Well now I am craving this cake!
This pumpkin cake looks so icredible!
This sounds like a perfect Fall dessert! My family is going to love this!
Such a great fall treat! Love pumpkin and chocolate together!!
I love the combo of the chocolate with the pumpkin! I love the idea of the ganache!