These Cherry Pie Crumb Bars are quick and easy crumb bars with fresh cherry filling. Buttery crumb topping and sweet fruit filling make this a perfect summer dessert!
Why You'll Love This Dessert
After the light and fluffy Cherry Poke Cake, which may I just say now disappear quicker than any cake I've ever made (maybe with the exception of my Pineapple Coconut Cake), I was left with 2 cups of cherries to use up quickly. As always in such a situation, I quickly decided to make my favorite and trusted crumb bars.
It's hard to decide what part of these bars is better: the buttery and crunchy crumb topping or the sweet cherry filling that just screams summer! Enjoy these Cherry Pie Crumb Bars dusted with powdered sugar, a la mode with a scoop of ice cream or packed in your lunchbox.
- cherries - I used fresh cherries. Use what you have on hand, even frozen cherries. Just make sure to thaw them out first.
- cornstarch - Added to any fruit, helps make the delicious filling.
- flour - I used all-purpose flour. Make sure to measure it properly. For my tips, check out the notes in the recipe box below.
- baking powder and baking soda - Necessary for proper rising and browning of the bars.
- sugar - I used white, granulated sugar. You can use brown sugar for a chewier texture.
- butter - Using melted butter makes the crust and crumb topping rich in flavor and buttery.
How to make cherry pie crumb bars?
- Make the filling by combining cherries, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Combine butter and sugar. Add dry ingredients and stir everything with a fork.
- Reserve some mixture for the crumb topping.
- Press the remaining dough into the bottom of a baking pan.
- Pour filling over the crust.
- Top with crumb topping.
- Bake the bars in preheated oven until golden brown on top.
- Cool completely before slicing.
The full recipe with ingredients measurements is below in the recipe box.
- The trick to perfect crumb topping is to use completely cooled to room temperature butter. Hot will cook the mixture and the crumbs won't form. It's helpful to stir the mixture with a fork to make perfect size crumbs.
- You can bake these bars in a round 8" pan for a thin slice of pie.
- Use any fruit you like to make these bars: strawberries, blueberries, even peaches.
For this recipe, you can use any fruit. You can use fresh or frozen, but thawed before baking.
Of course! Double the ingredients and bake the bars in a 13" x 9" pan for 35 to 40 minutes.
Yes, you can freeze these bars. Make sure to cool them completely, then wrap them tightly in saran wrap and place them in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can substitute gluten-free flour in the recipe. Make sure to use a product you are familiar with and one that can be used in a 1:1 ratio while substituting.
More dessert recipe:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Cherry Pie Crumb Bars Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted , cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh cherries , pitted, each sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Line a square 8" baking pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom of lined pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cherries, cornstarch and lemon juice.2 cups fresh cherries, 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar.½ cup unsalted butter melted, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Reserve ¾ cup of mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread cherry filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over cherries.
- Sprinkle sugar over crumb topping.1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Bake bars for 23 to 25 minutes OR until the top is golden.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
- This recipe makes 9 bars.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.