Cherry Pie Crumb Bars Recipe – quick and easy crumb bars with fresh cherry filling. Buttery crumb topping and sweet fruit filling make this a perfect summer dessert!
After the light and fluffy Cherry Poke Cake, that may I just say now disappear quicker than any cake I’ve ever made (maybe with the exception of my Pineapple Coconut Cake), I was left with 2 cups of cherries to use up quickly. As always in such a situation, I quickly decided to make my favorite and trusted crumb bars.
CHERRY PIE CRUMB BARS
It’s hard to decide what part of these bars is better: the buttery and crunchy crumb topping or the sweet cherry filling that just screams summer! Enjoy these Cherry Pie Crumb Bars dusted with powdered sugar, a la mode with a scoop of ice cream or packed in your lunchbox.
CAN I USE FROZEN CHERRIES TO MAKE THESE BARS?
For this Cherry Pie Crumb Bars recipe, you can use any fruit. You can use fresh or frozen, but thawed before baking.
The trick to perfect crumb topping is to use completely cooled to room temperature butter. Hot will cook the mixture and the crumbs won’t form. It’s helpful to stir the mixture with a fork to make perfect size crumbs. You can also bake these bars in a round 8″ pan for a thin slice pie.
More Crumb Bars Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Cherry Pie Crumb Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted , cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh cherries , pitted, each sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a square 8" baking pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom of lined pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cherries, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread cherry filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over cherries.
- Sprinkle sugar over crumb topping.
- Bake bars for 23 to 25 minutes OR until the top is golden.
- Cool completely before cutting.