Cinnamon Apple Cake Recipe – soft and fluffy cinnamon cake with a layer of spiced brown sugar apples cooked in a skillet. You can use any apples you want to make this delicious dessert!
CINNAMON APPLE CAKE
I could tell you that this cake was a result of having a bunch of apples that desperately needed to be used. But honestly, seeing apple and pumpkin desserts popping up on social media got me in the mood for a fall dessert. The apples were perfect for that. This Cinnamon Apple Cake is easy and so incredibly delicious! The cake is soft and fluffy and the apples perfectly spiced and sweet.
I used the cake part recipe from my very popular, Best Apple Crumb Cake recipe. If you made it and love it, you will love this Cinnamon Apple Cake too! A generous dusting of powdered sugar and a cup of latte and you are set for a delicious afternoon break.
How to make Cinnamon Apple Cake?
This recipe makes generous pieces, baked in 8″ square pan. I lined the bottom with a square of parchment paper for easy removal of the pieces. I also didn’t have to grease and flour the pan.
Step 1: prep the apples
- Start by peeling and coring apples. Chop into small squares and saute in butter. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, and brown sugar.
- Cook until fragrant and softened but not turned into mush. We are not making applesauce here.
Step 2: make cake batter
- Next, make the cake batter. It’s one of the easiest you can make, no mixer needed. Simply whisk all the ingredients together.
Step 3: Assemble and bake
- Pour half of the cake batter into a square pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spread cinnamon apples over the cake and pour the remaining batter over the top. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely in pan and dust with powdered sugar.
Tools you need to make this cake:
- non-stick pan: it’s perfect for making the cinnamon apples
- 8″ square cake pan but round cake be used as well
- large mixing bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
What apples can I use to make this cake?
Any you have on hand! I had 6 red delicious apples and that’s what I used. If you have apples from the orchard, they will be perfect for this cake. The fact that we are cooking the apples in a skillet with spices and brown sugar before using in the cake, let’s you use any kind of apples you like. Just cook the apples until soft but not mushy. They won’t release moisture into the cake batter, be under- or overcooked. They will make a perfect layer of spiced brown sugar apples.
How to store this cake?
The best way to store this cake or any leftovers is in a container with a lid. It will prevent this cake from drying out.
More Delicious Cake Recipes:
- The Best Apple Crumb Cake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake (another dessert with apples cooked in a skillet)
- The Best Moist Carrot Cake
- One-Bowl Vanilla Cake
- One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
A soft and fluffy cinnamon cake with a layer of spiced brown sugar apples cooked in a skillet. You can use any apples you want to make this delicious dessert!
- 6 apples I used red delicious
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- Peel and core apples. Cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet. Add apple chunks. Add spices and brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon. Saute apples until very fragrant and softened, but not mushy. The time of cooking will depend on the apples. Set aside to cool completely. You can prepare the apples a day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8" square cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup whisk buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spread cinnamon apples over baked cake. Pour the remaining cake batter on top. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes OR until the toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut and serve.
- I had 6 red delicious apples and that's what I used. If you have apples from the orchard, they will be perfect for this cake. The fact that we are cooking the apples in a skillet with spices and brown sugar before using in the cake, let's you use any kind of apples you like. Just cook the apples until soft but not mushy. The won't release moisture into the cake batter, be under- or overcooked. They will make a perfect layer of spiced brown sugar apples.
- This recipe makes generous pieces, baked in 8" square pan. I lined the bottom with a square of parchment paper for easy removal of the pieces. I also didn't have to grease and flour the pan.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published on September 7th, 2018 and updated on September 22nd, 2019.