The best recipe for Moist Carrot Cake! Very easy to make and topped with quick vanilla cream cheese frosting and chopped nuts.
This is my go-to carrot cake recipe. It's moist, sweet, delicious and so easy to make. I don't make layer cakes anymore, instead, I go for easy cakes, like my One-Bowl Chocolate Cake. The fewer dishes I need to use, the better. You only need one bowl, one measuring cup and one baking pan to make this delicious treat! Each piece melts in your mouth, and you can't help yourself but reach for another one. This recipe can be made into cupcakes as well.
- all-purpose flour
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cinnamon, ginger, cloves
- canola oil
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
How to make Moist Carrot Cake?
- Start by greasing and flouring your cake pan or simply line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients in a large measuring cup. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, then fold in carrots. The batter will be thick.
- Pour batter onto prepared baking pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Make frosting by beating together cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy. Spread over cake. Chill cake until ready to serve. Top with chopped walnuts or pecans before serving.
Kitchen tools needed:
To make this cake you will need one mixing bowl, a whisk, one large measuring cup (for wet ingredients) and one square or round 8" pan.
- grate carrots on small hole side of your grater: you won't have long strings of carrots in your cake.
- measure out the flour: fluff it with a fork or spoon in the container you store your flour in; then spoon it into the measuring cup, level out the top. Do not dip your measuring cup right into the flour. You will end up with too much of it and the cake won't be fluffy and moist.
- add nuts, raisins or shredded coconut.
- add cinnamon and nutmeg to frosting for added spice!
More easy dessert recipes:
- Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake
- One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Strawberry Crumble
- Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp
- One-Bowl Vanilla Cake
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Dessert Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Moist Carrot Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrots see note
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 8" square or round cake pan (or line with parchment paper). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large measuring cup, whisk oil with eggs. Add vanilla and whisk well.2 large eggs, ½ cup canola oil, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Add carrots and stir in well.1 ½ cup shredded carrots
- Pour batter into prepared pan, tap it against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting: in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese for 30 seconds. Add butter and beat for 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, ¼ cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Spread frosting on cake.4 oz. cream cheese, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill cake until ready to serve.
- to measure out flour properly: fluff it with a fork or spoon in the container you store your flour in; then spoon it into the measuring cup, level out the top. Do not dip your measuring cup right into the flour. You will end up with too much of it and the cake won't be fluffy and moist.
- grate carrots on small hole side of your grater
- the cream cheese and butter should be very soft, as in you have to scrape it off the wrapper