Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole – save time and make the classic Thanksgiving side dish in your crockpot! No canned ingredients needed!
Green beans can be prepared in many ways to make them delicious. My recipe for Roasted Green Beans is absolutely delicious!
SLOW COOKER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
About a week ago, I received a message from one of my readers asking if it’s possible to cook my Green Bean Casserole from Scratch in the slow cooker. I realized that I made it before in my trusty crockpot but never shared how to do it on my blog. So today, here it is: the recipe for the classic Thanksgiving side dish made in a slow cooker. No canned ingredients since we are using fresh green beans and making the mushroom sauce from scratch. It’s very easy and saves you time in the kitchen on one of the busiest days of the year. You can cook the beans and make the sauce ahead of time, then just assemble everything in the slow cooker and let it cook. Cooking the Green Bean Casserole in a slow cooker saves you time and space in the oven.
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole Ingredients:
- fresh green beans
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- sweet onion
- white mushrooms
- French fried onions
How to make Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole?
- Start with fresh green beans, trim the ends and wash them. Then place in pot with water, bring to boil and cook until tender. Drain the beans and set aside. You can also refrigerate them ( once completely cooled ) for up to one day, covered in a bowl.
- Next, you need to make the mushroom sauce that replaces the canned cream of mushroom soup. It’s very simple. You can also use my recipe for a DIY Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup and add enough milk to make 3 cups of sauce.
- Place everything in the slow cooker and set to cook for 2.5 hrs on LOW setting.
- Toast up French fried onions in the oven and sprinkle over the casserole.
If you want to serve it all in a pretty dish instead of your slow cooker insert, simply pour the casserole into the serving dish and sprinkle with toasted onions. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Can I double this recipe?
If your slow cooker can fit double the ingredients, feel free to increase the amounts.
How to store leftovers?
Any leftovers of this Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole should be stored in a container with lid, in the fridge. You can heat it up in the microwave or oven.
Can I freeze this dish?
Yes! You can place the casserole in a freeze-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready, thaw out and cook in the slow cooker or oven.
More Thanksgiving Recipes:
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- Sweet Corn Casserole
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Save time and make the classic Thanksgiving side dish in your crock pot! No canned ingredients needed!
- 2 lbs fresh green beans ends trimmed, washed, cut into 2" pieces
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Place cut green beans in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain, place in slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up oil. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add milk and cornstarch mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Cook until thickens. Stir often.
- Pour mixture over beans. Gently stir to coat.
- Place lid on slow cooker, set to LOW setting and cook for 2.5 hours.
- When done, set to warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange French fried onions in a single layer on baking sheet. Toast up for 2 to 3 minutes ( watch them so they won't burn) . Sprinkle over cooked casserole.
- To make ahead: make sauce, cool completely, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Cook green beans, drain, cool completely, cover refrigerate up to 1 day.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published on November 6th, 2017 and updated on October 21st, 2019.