Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe – the best homemade cream of mushroom soup for casseroles, sauces and soups! Easy to make and so much better than from a can.
Comfort food season is upon us and I am so excited for it! Cream casseroles, soups and sauces will appear in our meal planning. I have the perfect homemade version of a canned classic that most likely is in our pantry. This Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is a must-try DIY recipe.
I love DIY recipes for pantry staples like a cream of soup. They are so much better than the stuff from a can and so much healthier for you since it’s made from all-natural ingredients. Use this cream of soup in any recipe you would typically use the canned version.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
To make a condensed cream of soup, simply saute garlic and onion in butter and olive oil mixture. Add mushrooms and cook until soft and fragrant. Add cornstarch and half and half mixture and cook until thick. Cool completely and transfer to a glass jar. Cover and store for up to 1 week. You can use it in casseroles, like a family favorite Green Bean Casserole, or turn into a mushroom sauce to pour over chicken ( it would be perfect for our Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken and it will save you a step! ) or add chicken or vegetable stock and make a creamy mushroom soup.
I made sure that this homemade diy Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup had a ton of flavor so I used 8 oz. of mushrooms ( think the usual size container you can buy in your grocery store ). It is also accidentally gluten free since I didn’t use flour but rather cornstarch. It is my secret ingredient to smooth and silky sauces. Flour can easily clump up and it’s quite impossible to get rid of them, even if you try to blend the mixture in your blender. Using cornstarch is so much better and easier.
The end result is creamy, thick and packed with flavor mixture that can be used in so many ways. Check out my links below for more DIY recipes.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms baby bella or white , cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half and half see note
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat up oil and butter.
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is almost translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir often.
- Add soy sauce and stir well.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together cornstarch, half and half and stock. Add to mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Transfer into a glass jar or a container with lid. Store in fridge for up to 1 week. Stir before using.