This Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe makes the best cream of mushroom soup from scratch. Use it for casseroles, sauces, and soups! It's so easy to make and so much better than from a can.
Why This Recipe Works
Comfort food season is upon us and I am so excited for it! Cream casseroles, soups, and sauces will appear in our meal planning. I have the perfect homemade version of a canned classic that most likely is in our pantry. This homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup is a must-try DIY recipe.
I love recipes for pantry staples like cream of soup. They are so much better than the stuff from a can and so much healthier for you since it's made from all-natural ingredients. Use this cream of soup in any recipe you would typically use the canned version.
Why this recipe is the best?
I made sure that this homemade cream of mushroom soup had a ton of flavor so I used 8 ounces of mushrooms ( think the usual size container you can buy in your grocery store ). It is also accidentally gluten-free since I didn't use flour but rather cornstarch. It is my secret ingredient to smooth and silky sauces. Flour can easily clump up and it's quite impossible to get rid of them, even if you try to blend the mixture in your blender. Using cornstarch is so much better and easier.
This is the best substitute for the store-bought, canned cream of mushroom soup.
- mushrooms - I used baby Bella mushrooms. White mushrooms can be used as well.
- garlic and onion - This combo pairs well with mushrooms and adds rich flavor.
- butter and oil - My favorite combo for sauteing vegetables, especially mushrooms.
- soy sauce - This is my secret ingredient. It adds a deep, salty flavor to the condensed soup. Use coconut aminos to make the soup gluten-free.
- cornstarch - Helps thicken the mixture and allows for a smooth texture.
- half and half - It makes the soup creamy and rich. It's a mix of equal amounts of heavy cream and milk, so if you can't find it in a store, you can easily make your own.
- stock - Use chicken or vegetable stock or even broth.
How to make homemade cream of mushroom soup?
- To make a condensed cream of soup, simply saute garlic and onion in a butter and olive oil mixture.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add cornstarch and half and half mixture and cook until thick.
- Cool completely and transfer to a glass jar. Cover and store for up to 1 week.
How to use it?
You can use it in casseroles, like a family favorite Green Bean Casserole, or turn it into a mushroom sauce to pour over chicken ( it would be perfect for our Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken and it will save you a step! ) or add chicken or vegetable stock and make a creamy mushroom soup.
If you have experience in canning creamy soups, by all means, go for it. I do not so I can't promise results. Also, from what I have learned, canning soups that contain dairy can be tricky in a home setting.
From my experience, any soup or sauce that is made with milk or cream tends to separate when frozen. This will cause the texture to be grainy.
If you are looking for a lactose-free option, use soy, almond or cashew milk. The last one is the creamiest.
Yes, feel free to substitute flour for the cornstarch. Use 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to make the cream of soup.
More homemade sauce recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms baby bella or white , cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup half and half see note
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat up oil and butter.1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is almost translucent.2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 small onion
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir often.8 oz. mushrooms
- Add soy sauce and stir well.1 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- In a measuring cup, whisk together cornstarch, half and half and stock. Add to mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.2 Tablespoons cornstarch, ½ cup half and half, ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Season mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool completely.¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Transfer into a glass jar or a container with lid. Store in fridge for up to 1 week. Stir before using.
- I made sure that this sauce had a ton of flavor so I used 8 oz. of mushrooms ( think the usual size container you can buy in your grocery store ). It is also accidentally gluten-free since I didn't use flour but rather cornstarch. It is my secret ingredient to smooth and silky sauces.
- You can use it in casseroles, like a family favorite Green Bean Casserole, or turn it into a mushroom sauce to pour over chicken ( it would be perfect for our Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken and it will save you a step! ) or add chicken or vegetable stock and make a creamy mushroom soup.
- To make a sauce, use half of the mixture and add enough stock to get the desired consistency. Heat up and serve.
- Half and half is a mixture of light cream and whole milk. You can find it in the dairy section of your grocery store, near coffee creamers.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.