Asian Slaw – easy, colorful slaw with cabbage, carrots, green onions, and sesame oil dressing. Enjoy with takeout chicken or pork.
This slaw is perfect enjoyed on its own, turned into a lunch salad by adding crunchy Ramen noodles, cooked chicken, like the Sticky Asian Chicken, or as a side dish in place of broccoli in our Teriyaki Chicken recipe.
Nothing beats a colorful salad that’s bursting with flavor and texture. Purple cabbage, green cabbage, carrots and green onions make the base of this slaw creating a bright dish. I add edamame beans for a pop of green. For the dressing, simply mix sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and garlic and toss with vegetables. Serve it with the Korean Beef Tacos or with Baked Teriyaki Salmon for a truly colorful dish.
- purple cabbage
- green cabbage
- green onions
- edamame beans
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
How to make Asian cabbage slaw?
Simple Asian slaw is based on purple cabbage and carrots. You could use just these two ingredients and make a delicious salad. Add green cabbage (just for contrast), chopped green onions and edamame beans for color and texture and this slaw turns into a veggie packed delicious side dish. It’s truly gorgeous on a plate!
The dressing for this Asian Slaw is made with just a few simple ingredients. For the base, mix low-sodium soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and sesame oil. The oil can be substituted with olive oil but I highly recommend trying it with sesame oil as it adds a very characteristic flavor to this salad. It’s has a toasted, nutty flavor and makes it perfect to be served along side takeout chicken, beef or pork and rice.
More Asian recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
More Asian recipes: www.crunchycreamysweet.com
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame beans
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large salad bowl, combine shredded purple cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, onions and beans.
- In a Mason jar or 1-cup measuring cup, whisk together soy sauce, both oils, vinegar, garlic, sugar and ginger. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Notes: This slaw is better served after at least 30 minutes of chilling in the fridge. It allows the cabbage and carrots to soften and mix with the dressing.