Make this Homemade Hoisin Sauce substitute in 5 minutes and forget the store-bought stuff. This sauce is perfect in Asian dishes as a dip or a glaze for meats or sauce for stir fry.
Drizzle this sauce on Korean Beef Tacos or use in place of teriyaki sauce in my Easy Chicken Stir-Fry.
This sauce is an Asian version of a barbecue sauce and is perfect with grilled or sauteed meats and vegetables. It's thick, has a strong fragrance and salty-sweet taste thanks to peanut butter and brown sugar. This homemade version is simplified with common ingredients, you can find in your local grocery store. Jazz up your next Asian takeout dinner with this delicious sauce and never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
- low-sodium soy sauce
- rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- sesame oil
- brown sugar
- sweet chili sauce
- peanut butter
- Chinese five-spice
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or blender.
- Whisk or blend until smooth.
- Store in a jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Authentic hoisin sauce includes black bean paste. However, this ingredient is not readily available. My version is simplified and easy to make for an everyday home cook.
- I highly recommend the addition of molasses to give it that store-bought sauce taste, but if you don't have it on hand, you can use a good barbecue sauce.
- For an added kick, add ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
How to use it:
Hoisin Sauce can be used just like BBQ sauce: as a glaze for grilled meat or as a dipping sauce for fried eggrolls, wontons or dumplings. You can add it to stir-fries like you would with teriyaki sauce. It is also a great marinade for chicken and can be used to make a salad vinaigrette.
More homemade sauce recipes:
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Asian Sesame Dressing
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Stir Fry Sauce
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Place all ingredients in a bowl or blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a jar with lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- If you don't have molasses on hand, use barbecue sauce.
- You can add crushed red pepper flakes for more heat.
Hi there, what cold i use in place of the peanut butter, even though its only a small amount, a family member has a nut allergy and another one has to have a very low sodium diet, also another has an intolerance to chilli so i will leave out the sweet chili sauce & chili flakes so im looking for home made sauce options.
This was delicious! I did make a couple of modifications as follows: 1 extra tbs each of brown sugar, molasses & sweet Thai chili sauce and omitted the 5 spice to adjust to my 7 year old’s tastes. We used it in lettuce wraps and it was just the right balance of sweet and savoury. Great recipe, thanks for posting 😊
I love that you adapted the recipe, Jen! Sounds awesome!
This was so, so good! I didn't have sweet chili sauce, so I used 1 Tbl honey and 1 tsp Sriracha. I used it in mushroom tacos. They were so, so good! (Here's the recipe for the tacos, in case you're interested.) https://www.wellplated.com/mushroom-tacos/
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! I have used this on shrimp, on pork and chicken....used it with ground beef and rice noodles!
Am trying this for the first time to make BBQ pork fried rice. I am gluten free and the GF hoisin sauces on the market are kinda terrible. Will update my review at a later date.
Thank you, Christine! I hope you love it!
Lauren Kelly says
My husband made this for us all last night and it was delicious! Thank you for this recipe!
That's fantastic! Thank you, Lauren!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
Nothing beats homemade! This looks incredibly delicious!! I can't wait to try it!
Hope you love it!
I need to make something just so I can pour this sauce over it!! It is so good!! It has lots of flavor & really would be so good on so many things!
Thank you so much, Kristyn!
Um...wow! I tried this last night and it was delicious! Thanks for the easy recipe!
Love being able to cut out all the unneeded preservatives with this recipe!